Kitten With Calicivirus: How To Best Support?

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My poor little 16-week-old kitten has come down with calicivirus, despite being fully vaccinated. She comes from a responsible breeder (long story) and my other cat is from a sketchier breeder (also long story). The vet said it may have come from my other cat, who is not showing signs of sickness, but also could have been from her previous home or even brought in randomly somehow. Apparently it just springs up without warning and the vaccine only works for certain strains.

Anyway, I am obviously looking for advice on how to best shorten the course of this illness. So far she has a fever, reluctant to eat, sleeps most of the time, and (here's the clue that it is calicivirus and not something else) is quite lame. I've set her up in a warm small room with a nice cat bed and a litter pan, water, plus dry food if she by some miracle gets hungry or thirsty. I and my partner have to work all day, so I hate to think of her alone and suffering, but my other cat will just lick her and pester her for playtime if I don't separate them and I want the kitten to have some peace.

I'm not sure if lysine is appropriate for calicivirus or not, otherwise I've been giving her baby food (as per vet instructions) and Cat-Cal (because she likes it and it seems like it might help). Other suggestions appreciated. I'm a bit worried since she was skinny to start off with. Let me know...thank you

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not a vet, but painkillers for the lameness, quarantine, gently cleaning the eyes and nose to get rid of the crusties, easily digestible and highly nutritious foods. Be sure there's no onion/no garlic in the baby food. She needs food/nutrition. Maybe pedialyte, store bought or home made? Goat milk or lactose reduced cow milk? This sounds rough, and she likely is really appreciating having a room to herself. - my thoughts are with you both!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks so much Furballsmom Furballsmom & Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 !
Goat's milk is a great idea. The baby food is just chicken and water, so it's safe. She also will accept a little boiled chicken and those Churro treats, so I think she's going to be okay. Poor angel...I can't wait for her to start eating cat food again

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
7A27D67F-9BA0-4190-B67C-1AA40A3E8DD8.jpeg
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Furballsmom Furballsmom

She’s doing better, on and off...she’s still a little rickety and not playing too much, and still limps a bit. I noticed her trembling with fever once or twice, but mostly she’s not doing that at this point. She still won’t eat kitten food but she will eat some adult cat food...so I’m supplementing with Cat-Cal. I’m also letting her spend time with her cat friend, since she was crying at the door of her room today. My main concern is that she’s not really pooping, but hopefully she’ll do that tonight. Overall, much better! Thanks so much for checking in.