Kitten with broken tail

dakota26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a ten week old kitten with a broken tail. He has been to the vet and is on antibiotics. The tip of his tail is limp and hangs down. It does not seem to bother him. He wags his tail and ends up hitting the tip on things. He doesn't seem to feel it. It may have to be amputated. Has anyone experienced this? Any advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dakota26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think because it was swollen and he is trying to save it. The kitten doesn't seem bothered by it, but I'm afraid he will injure it again. Thanks for the link.

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Broken bones need to be wrapped to prevent movement while healing and/or surgery. Antibiotics only kill bacteria and are only required if infection is present.  Antibiotics do not fix a broken tail. Sounds like only half the issue was addressed. I can only assume the vet thinks the broken bone will heal on its own and gave antibiotics as a precaution. 

I am full of questions regarding this treatment plan. But no I have not experienced a broken tail. But I have seen and treated 100s of broken human bones. I am sure someone else will chime in. Kisses to ur kitty

Last edited:

kittytech27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty first of all :(
But on the up side he should be ok. Cats usually heal amazingly well. Your vet may have preferred not to wrap the tail because if it swelled under the wrap the tissue could become necrotic and then the end of the tail would have to be amputated. This may also be why your cat was given antibiotics, or as a "just in case" to prevent secondary infection. I would keep an eye on it, and let your vet know if anything changes. I know a lot of kitties with crooked tails, they usually end up just fine :) Good luck with your baby