Kitten with breathing problems when excited

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all! My little 5 1/2 month old Bengal kitten is doing great! He seems healthy, he’s active, happy, and crazy like a regular Bengal should be :) I’m on a thanksgiving trip with him right now and I’ve been recently noticing that when he gets really excited/hyperactive, his breathing starts to sound wheezy and a little bit labored (you can see his belly move when he breathes). This only lasts until he calms down, then he seems fine and goes back to zooming about. He doesn’t appear to be in any pain during or after his heavy breathing and just goes right back to happy kitten mode!
His parents are hcm screened negative but I know he could still have it and I’m worried about my guy. He’s a handsome kitten, a healthy weight and very happy but I’m still worried. He will be going to the vet about it as soon as I can get him in but I’d love your suggestions/advice.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Your kitten is so handsome! I’m sorry to hear about his breathing problems. It’s definitely a good call to take him to the vet, because they will be able to listen to his heart and lungs and take x-rays if necessary. Personally, I’m wondering if it could be feline asthma. Cats can have asthma, just like humans, and I think that could explain the wheezing and why it’s only after exercise. But, I’m sure that there are other possible causes too, and your vet will be able to figure everything out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think you are right in getting your little guy - who is adorable, btw - into the vet to be checked for HCM. The sooner it would be identified the more helpful treatment is. However, it could possibly be a form of asthma, even perhaps 'exercise induced asthma', which is prevalent in humans, and I am guessing it can happen to kittens/cats as well. It is very treatable, as are most forms of asthma! Good luck and let us know how the vet visit goes!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m on a thanksgiving trip with him right now and I’ve been recently noticing that when he gets really excited/hyperactive, his breathing starts to sound wheezy and a little bit labored (you can see his belly move when he breathes). This only lasts until he calms down, then he seems fine and goes back to zooming about. He doesn’t appear to be in any pain during or after his heavy breathing and just goes right back to happy kitten mode!
Normal :) Any sort of vigorous ecerise / playtime will cause any cat to get a little out of breath. A brief break will help the breathing and heart rate slow down. Kind of like a person going for a run and needing to stop occasionally to catch their breath.

rachbu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Normal :) Any sort of vigorous ecerise / playtime will cause any cat to get a little out of breath. A brief break will help the breathing and heart rate slow down. Kind of like a person going for a run and needing to stop occasionally to catch their breath.
Agreed--i freaked out when I noticed my 6 month old panting after rambunctious play sessions, but my vet told me it's totally normal in kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!
Apparently it's normal and he's ok! I've never had a cat that panted/breathed heavily before but then again I've never had a cat as active as little Remi <3