Kitten With Acne, Inflamed Leaking Eyes, Neck Sores..

ChibiandNoodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. This is my first post to the page.

I am seeking advice as I have been back and forth to the vet multiple times to no avail.

I have two 5 month old tabby kittens, boy and girl who are litter siblings, adopted from a rescue at 9 weeks with no information about parents. Both are neutered and up-to-date with vaccines, worming and flea treatment.

Our boy, Chibi, has had a world of issues with his skin, including feline acne (black heads on chin), tar-like formation on the sides of his lips, inflamed face and eyes, leaking eyes, and itchy skin.

The vet finally put him on antibiotics which worked. However now he is finished the course, the symptons are returning, and now include sores/scabs on his neck. i don't know what to do anymore, i change their food bowls to ceramic and stainless steel, put a humidifier to help them breathe (possibly feline asthma with panting, fast breathing and sneezing - vet diagnosis) and a air purifier.

I don't want him to be on antibiotics long term aa he is still a kitten. Please help my kitten with troubled skin and allergies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChibiandNoodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
forgot to mention - they are on the Hills Science kitten diet - dry food during the day and wet at night.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I think first of all, I'd change them to something better than Science Diet and preferably grain-free. Although, my favorite kitten food is Royal Canin Babycat. You can feed canned twice a day and free-feed kibble. Also, be sure to use stainless steel, ceramic, or glass feeding and water dishes and wash them at least daily.

The sores could be an allergic reaction to food or litter. My girl gets chin acne from being stressed. We use stainless steel and ceramic food dishes, so it took some time to figure it out. Also, when our calming agents run out, they will pop up. It could be a stress thing for you guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChibiandNoodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I have been considering swapping to Royal Canin - I have read other cats have reactions to Science Hill, I thought it was one of the best on the market but it appears not for allergies. I wash food and water bowls daily as I know how sensitive he is.

I have feliway diffusers, so I will remember to keep them topped off.

Do you think the food/grain issue could cause the inflamed and leaking eyes too?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might change to a different brand of litter one without scent in it, no air fresheners. The Arm and Hammer light litter has a distinct scent that my cat dislikes, she won't go near it. Others have de-oderrising scents in them, which some cats are allergic to. Some clay clumping litters are duster than others.

After your laundry goes through the wash rinse cycles, set it at the beginning of the rinse cycle and put 1/4 cup of white vinegar and click the rinse cycle on. I've done this for over two decades and so far it hasn't harmed any clothes. Please note I've never tried it on silk or satin or any antique fabrics. The vinegar gets more of the residual soap out of your clothes and sheets etc.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something else to consider is switching to an all natural litter such as World's Best or Blue Naturally Fresh. I would go with unscented varieties as this could be aggravating things.

Regarding the leaky eyes sounds like either conjunctivitis, seasonal allergies, or feline herpes. Has the vet checked his eyes to rule out conjunctivitis? Is he rubbing his eyes with his paws a lot like they're itchy?