Kitten Will Not Drink Water

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a foster kitten about 3 months old. I have had him about 2 weeks. At first he would not eat due to congestion. That is almost cleared up and he is eating Recovery (Royal Canin). But he does not drink at all. I have been putting water in the food which is already high in water, so he is not dehydrated. However he needs to learn to drink. I have put out chicken broth mixed with water (I made my own so it is truly unsalted). It was heated to bring out the flavor. Anyone have any ideas? The Shelter suggested unsalted chicken broth but as I said, he is not interested.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you feed wet or dry food? I would feed an all or mostly wet diet.

Many cats who eat only wet food don't drink water at all because they get enough moisture from their wet food. So an easy way to get moisture into your cat is through wet food. Plus it's healthier than dry food anyway so it's a win-win.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now he is in the bathroom. He can jump to the counter from the tree. I will leave the water dripping and see

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you feed wet or dry food? I would feed an all or mostly wet diet.

Many cats who eat only wet food don't drink water at all because they get enough moisture from their wet food. So an easy way to get moisture into your cat is through wet food. Plus it's healthier than dry food anyway so it's a win-win.

Karamia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a foster kitten about 3 months old. I have had him about 2 weeks. At first he would not eat due to congestion. That is almost cleared up and he is eating Recovery (Royal Canin). But he does not drink at all. I have been putting water in the food which is already high in water, so he is not dehydrated. However he needs to learn to drink. I have put out chicken broth mixed with water (I made my own so it is truly unsalted). It was heated to bring out the flavor. Anyone have any ideas? The Shelter suggested unsalted chicken broth but as I said, he is not interested.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now, as I said, he is eating Recovery.(A highly palatable, highly nutritious wet food) He was not eating at all, so I am feeding him what he will eat right now, under the advice of the medical director of the shelter. You may be right that he is just not thirsty. I am going to try to wean him to "regular" canned food, and then dry food (The shelter feeds Science Diet Kitten.) I also have some Royal Canin Kitten wet and dry. He has gained about 1/2 lb. in a week, so that is good. Thank you.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now, as I said, he is eating Recovery.(A highly palatable, highly nutritious wet food) He was not eating at all, so I am feeding him what he will eat right now, under the advice of the medical director of the shelter. You may be right that he is just not thirsty. I am going to try to wean him to "regular" canned food, and then dry food (The shelter feeds Science Diet Kitten.) I also have some Royal Canin Kitten wet and dry. He has gained about 1/2 lb. in a week, so that is good. Thank you.
If you're feeding all wet then it's likely that he is just getting enough moisture in his food and doesn't need to drink water. Cats in the wild rarely drink water because they absorb moisture from their prey. That's why dry food is unnatural for cats and quite unhealthy. I would just stick to wet food if I were you.

Karamia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 year old cat and I never see her drinking from the water bowls in house or sink/bathtub, but when I tasked a glass of water to bed at night she will drink from that!! Might be worth a try

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She sounds like my Toby. The first time I took him to the vet the vet said he looks like a Russian Blue. So Toby figured he was royalty and only drank from a cup for 2 or 3 years. I think my kitten is just not thirsty because f the water in the wet food. But he will be adopted soon so I want him to know about the water bowl. I will wait and see?

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Tuff never drinks water. He is on an all wet diet. I do add a few teaspoons of bottled water to his food and he laps that up. I wouldn't worry as long as he is eating his wet food good.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone who has replied. The consensus is that if the kitten is eating wet food only he does not need water. I feel my h better now.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone who has replied. The consensus is that if the kitten is eating wet food only he does not need water. I feel my h better now.
Great, and if you’re ever worried about water intake you can always add a little extra water to the wet food when serving.