Kitten weight loss randomly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

User2425

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 week and 4 day old kitten who within the span of 2 days lost 45g, going from 300g to 255g. This incident started 3 days ago, and since yesterday I have been supplementing with newborn kitten formula to bring his weight up, which thankfully has worked.

He has attempted to latch back onto the mother, but has issues latching, this was not an issue before. He urinated fine and his membrane is all pink, not as active as the other litter mates but does crawl around. He does have an occasional jitter.

I was just wondering what exactly could be the reason to him not latching like he did before, he was one of the faster growing litter, and had the most weight out of the lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

User2425

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Place the kitten's body right up to your ear and listen to him breathing. Do you hear any clicking or wheezing?
No wheezing or clicking can be heard, another thing to note is his eyes seem to have a haws syndrome look to them, compared to the other litter mates.

we have taken him to the emergency vet, they couldn't diagnosed him with anything due to his age, so they've given him some antibiotics and painkillers.

If anyone could advise on what could be wrong i, it's greatly appreciated.

User2425

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20220416_221010.jpg

Not sure if it's visible but the third eye is covering close to half the eye from the inner corner, on both eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m hoping the antibiotics help. Unless there is a genetic defect, it sounds like he may have aspirated milk, or may have some other infection. Keep a close watch and keep us posted!

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Give him the antibiotics and keep feeding him every 3 hours. You can make his formula with unflavored Pedialyte in order to get his electrolytes back up. He looks either dehydrated or feverish. Could be pneumonia or something else. When he recovers and is doing better, make sure to deworm all the kittens and the mother. Do you see any sores in his mouth or on his paw pads?

User2425

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Give him the antibiotics and keep feeding him every 3 hours. You can make his formula with unflavored Pedialyte in order to get his electrolytes back up. He looks either dehydrated or feverish. Could be pneumonia or something else. When he recovers and is doing better, make sure to deworm all the kittens and the mother. Do you see any sores in his mouth or on his paw pads?
Will do with the formula, no sores are present, and the membrane in his mouth is a healthy pink colour, thanks for your help

User2425

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m hoping the antibiotics help. Unless there is a genetic defect, it sounds like he may have aspirated milk, or may have some other infection. Keep a close watch and keep us posted!
Hoping as well, it all happened very randomly, but infection seems to be the most likely reason.

User2425

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As an update, he's been increasing in weight, his eyes are now fully open, and he seems a little less lethargic. Gave him a quick clean around witha damp cotton pad.

20220418_163051.jpg

Will keep posted, only thing left to "heal" is the raspyness in his breathing and his lethargic self.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
User2425 User2425 has asked me to let you all know that the kitten passed away shortly after their last post was made. They would like to thank you all for your help.

I'll lock this thread now. Rest in peace little one.

:angelcat:

Status
Not open for further replies.