Kitten was super affectionate, now is super shy

snowymom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am completely new to this site and looking forward to learning from others :) My issue: I adopted a 4 month Birman kitten and have had her for a month (she's 5 months old now). When we went to the breeders she was super affectionate - she would put her paws up on my husband and daughter's legs to be put on their laps. Then she would lie on their laps and purr. We were supposed to take a different cat (who was spayed) but she hid the entire time so my daughter chose Snowy, the affectionate kitten. She's been home for a month now and unfortunately she got conjunctivitis and needed drops and oral antibiotics for 10 days. Not a great introduction. She is very sweet and purrs when picked up. She likes to be in the room with us when she's not sleeping. My question is: she is not cuddly at all like she was at the breeder's! She is more playful and scampering around, nipping our feet to get us to play (she is an only pet, and will be spayed in 2 weeks, took forever to get a spay appointment, sigh). She doesn't seem lonely or stressed - no meowing, overgrooming, etc. I thought she was lonely so I adopted another Birman boy kitten from the same breeder but she got so freaked out that I had to take the poor confused little guy back (she probably freaked out because she wasn't spayed yet?). I introduced them slowly (I am an experienced cat owner) but her reaction was one I've never seen and given she isn't yet fixed (he was), I took him back. As a sidenote, this boy kitten was extremely affectionate in our house! :dunno:
From those who may have experienced something similar - very affectionate kitten became shy once at home - did your kitten eventually become affectionate again? We are home all day - i work from home - so she gets loads of attention. I've never adopted from a breeder, only had rescue cats, but chose this breed as an emotional support animal for my daughter (16 years old). Thanks! I've put a photo of her below. 20200831_092023.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! She's beautiful!!

I think you may have a situation where she was super confident at the breeders, and a little bit less so to begin with, at your house. Additionally, she is growing and you could be seeing different aspects of her personality.

Since she actually is very affectionate from what you've described and what you're missing is the cuddly lapcat behavior, you will likely need to wait until the kitten-energy wears off and she becomes more mature.

Be sure to stop that nipping before it becomes a bad habit with her. Try hissing at her, that's what her feline mama would do to teach about unacceptable behavior :)

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! And, welcome! I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom , but oddly enough for the exact opposite reason!

She was overly affectionate, in need of a loving home before you adopted her. Now, she feels confident in her new home, and has become a kitten - play is more 'fun' than cuddling. From there, I go back to what Furballsmom Furballsmom said, you will have to wait until the kitten-energy plays out its role and as she matures she will likely become more cuddly again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowymom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, Furballsmom and FeebysOwner. She definitely did not get as much one on one attention at the breeder's compared to at my home so I'm sure that explains a lot of it. I am enjoying her now nonetheless and will try to be more patient and yes, nip the ankle biting in the bud (I do hiss at her and she looks confused but then stops lol)! :gingercat:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does seem to happen a fair amount. Think of it this way -- "high energy, no time for cuddling" is like the default state for most kittens, so it doesn't take much to revert them back to that and you may not figure out the exact reason with certainty. It is what it is, and you have to treat the kitten like a normal no time for cuddling kitten. You know the drill -- play with the kitten, and pet/cuddle with the kitten only when, where and how the kitten allows, coaxing but never forcing. In time, the affection will come back, but it might be that you can only pet the kitten when tired for a while, or in a special spot, like on the bed.