Kitten W/ Worms - Revolution Given

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our vet did a fecal sample test and our 8 (almost 9) week kitten has roundworms and hookworm. Vet prescribed Revolution.

Prior to this, kitty's poop seemed nomal but now this morning there was really soft poop in the litter box and you could definitely see the worms. (blech). Is this normal and means the medicine is working?

How long should the soft poop last? I'm worried about diarrhea and dehydration. =/

catladyky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know from personal experience that after worm meds, they do pass the worms for a little while. if you're worried about dehydration go get some flavorless pedialyte and give it to her. as long as the poop isn't liquid and still has some form, it should be ok. but if it persists for a few days, take the cat to the vet again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! It is not liquid, just yucky and soft. I will get the pedilyte just for my peace of mind. He is still drinking and eating pretty well, I had no idea he had worms!

Also, do I need to get a new litterbox to prevent re-infestation? Or scrub it out good? I know bleach is bad for cats, but those suckers were so gross, I'm itching to bleach or toss everything. Lol.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Don't do bleach. But, it would probably be a good idea to get rid of the litter, clean the box out thoroughly (vinegar and soap would likely do the trick) and replace the litter. That's what I would do. And, if I saw some more after that, I would do it again!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Don't do bleach. But, it would probably be a good idea to get rid of the litter, clean the box out thoroughly (vinegar and soap would likely do the trick) and replace the litter. That's what I would do. And, if I saw some more after that, I would do it again!!!
Ok, thank you!

catladyky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! It is not liquid, just yucky and soft. I will get the pedilyte just for my peace of mind. He is still drinking and eating pretty well, I had no idea he had worms!

Also, do I need to get a new litterbox to prevent re-infestation? Or scrub it out good? I know bleach is bad for cats, but those suckers were so gross, I'm itching to bleach or toss everything. Lol.
A good through cleaning is good enough. Soap and water. Also, remember you need to syringe the pedialyte to the cat the proper amount if you really want to make sure they're hydrated.

Good luck!