Kitten W Diarrhea Coming Off Hills Pres I/d - What Brand Next?

srhfoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4-month old has been with me almost 2 weeks. We're wrapping up (hopefully) a 5-day run of diarrhea. Took him to the vet to rule out parasites (negative) and vet suggested Hills Pres I/D for a few days along with Fortiflora. I added a little canned pumpkin and after 36 hours, am already seeing improvement.

He had not gotten wet food at the rescue, so I likely messed up his little tummy by giving too much or the wrong type; I had read that most FF pates were acceptable, so I started him on FANCY FEAST kitten turkey (one 3-oz can/day) plus Kitten Chow. I'm not sure which one caused the diarrhea, but I've gotten rid of the Kitten Chow (didn't know how bad it was), and switched to 4Health All Life Stages so that I can leave some dry out during the day for kitten plus 3 adults.

I'm uncertain as to what brand of kitten canned to go with once we've resolved this problem completely in the next few days. Should I retry the FF kitten turkey or look at something else? I'd prefer to stick with a medium cost like the FF but am certainly open to paying a little more if the FF is what's caused the diarrhea.

Also, how much wet should I feed him? I'd been following directions on the can, but I've also read that that's not necessary good to do. He weighs 4.5 lbs.

Thank you so so much!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So are you slowly mixing the 4health with the I/D so THAT doesn't upset his tummy? It's hard to say what is helping him, because the FortiFlora itself helps with diarrhea.

As to which wet food to go with, that's going to be trial and error, I think. It could be carrageenan that is causing the diarrhea, I just don't know. And I also don't know which kitten food have that in them and which don't. Again, that's why I say it's probably just going to have to be trial and error on this :sigh:. AND, as to how much, with kittens, that's also trial and error. At his age, he'll be needed a lot of food, so it depends on how much dry you are feeding :wink:. Pretty much though, give him as much food as he wants.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

srhfoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and thanks for the reply. Yes, we slowly started the 4health. We're now on Day 3 of no problems at all. He's still on the I/D wet, Fortiflora and now the 4health. After 2 more days, I will try one feeding of the Fancy Feast kitten and see how it goes, then start mixing the 2. Again, thanks for the tips.
Sarah