Kitten Vomiting And Off Food

ChaiChai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I have a 17 week old kitten who I have had for the previous 2 weeks. Prior to living with me she had a family who couldn't handle her kitten antics.

Three nights ago she woke during the night and vomited three times. The next morning she was fine and back to normal. Then again yesterday morning first thing she woke up and vomited. She wouldn't eat after this instance. She was a lot quieter than she usually would be and slept most the day. I took her to the vet yesterday afternoon and he did a physical exam, he said nothing obviously wrong so sent us home. She was fine when we got home and played as normal and was eating normally to. This morning she woke up and was very quiet. Went and peed but didn't cover it up as usual. Wouldn't eat at all and just sat in the corner which is unlike her in the morning. She then threw up a decent sized amount of bile. Now she is just sitting around, has had a little bit of water but acting very quiet and unlike herself. Will be going back to vet asap if no change in next hour or two.

Any ideas what are going on?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly, it sounds a lot like a spell Rocket went through when she was about 6 months old. My vets immediate thought with the same symptoms was a blockage so we did x-rays and ruled that out. Gave her the above mix and said to watch her for a day or two and offer human baby food to keep her hydrated and eating (meat only, no spices). If there wasn't an improvement after the anitbiotics, SubQ and B12 then we would have moved onto blood work.

So I would ask for x-rays to rule out blockage. If there is no blockage then antibiotics, SubQ fluids and a B12 shot. Those three will give the body a little boost to get over whatever it is if it isn't anything major. If you don't see an improvement in a day or two you would want a full blood work up to see more information about what is going on. Right now though it is too general to really make any specific guesses.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have any better answer for you than Kieka Kieka 's, but please let us know your kitten gets along.

We're so glad that you found TCS. You now have a large and caring community behind you. There is a forum called "New Cats on the Block." When you have a minute, we'd love to have you introduce yourself, and of course, that precious kitten. Pictures are always welcome, and the more the merrier!

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

I love cats but I'm not lonely
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she throw up after she eats in the morning? This may be happening:
In the morning she may get so hungry and east too much too fast. The solution would be giving her food right before you go to bed, or leaving some dry food out overnight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChaiChai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone thank you for your responses! My partner ended up taking her back to the vet as I was unable to get away from work - he isn't quite as persistent as me at asking vet to do specifics so she was given an injection to help her stop feeling sick and hopefully bring back her appetite. Our next step at the vets if she continued to vomit was to get X-rays and bloods done.
She hasn't vomited again, is still quiet but is definitely coming back to herself. Slowly beginning to eat again in small amounts of heated wet food/baby food. Vet thinks she just has a virus and it should pass so keeping a close eye on her!
She is drinking plenty of water so just keeping a close eye over the weekend and will re-evaluate over the phone with the vet on Monday if nothing has changed, but definitely noticing improvement from yesterday.

Here is a picture of my little baby!

Attachments

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten spent weeks being sick and going quiet ! We were up and down the vet like yo yos and she was alway having injections ! what is she eating ? Boiled chicken and rice is want we used to feed ours as she can't eat gravy or jelly in food. She can only eat royal canon Gastro vet food and somebody on here recommended thrive cat food as they have 75 % food. I emailed then and advised of my kittens sensitive tummy and they've sent me 20 cans of their food to try . Been 48 hours and she's fine no sickness . I do feel your pain I used to go to sleep hoping she wouldn't be sick then would get woken up to her heaving ! Poor thing always got off the bed before she was sick