Kitten Vomiting 5 Times In One Day

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 5mo kitten has vomited 5 times today. I called the emergency vet clinic, since the normal ones aren't open on Sunday, and asked them if I should come in. They asked some questions about it, like what the vomit looked like (Food in it at first, then just white foam later on), if could have eaten anything bad for him recently (not that I know of. I don't leave chemicals out, and I have all his toys accounted for), if he was having litterbox issues (no, he just peed before I called them), and if he was lethargic (yes, maybe? But he's always sleepy this time of day). They told me to keep an eye on it and possibly come in during regular hours if it keeps happening.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Could it just be a little tummy bug?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now that I think about it. The only change in his diet was that yesterday I bought some feline greenies. I gave him two this morning. Could that have done anything?

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont think greenies could cause that. You could look for recalls on it and i would stop giving this to him...try some natural freeze dried treats :) . Still foaming at the mouth? Do you use any essential oils or maybe a new cleaning product?

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At first it looked like the food he had eaten earlier that day for breakfast (Blue Freedom Kitten dry food mixed with Fancy Feast wet food), then by the 3rd time it was running pretty clear, and 4th it was just white foam. 5th time it was brownish like his food again but liquidy, no chunks...

Honestly I have no idea what really caused him to feel sick. But after an afternoon of puking and sleeping and refusing food he is super lively again and playing. I'm giving him only wet food and in very small portions (as the emergency vet told me to do), and I think he's going to make a great recovery. I'll definitely keep an eye on him though!

If anyone else has had a similar experience I'd like to hear about it. If it was something on my part I definitely want to stop it from happening again. I don't think I've ever been so scared in my life!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which Greenies treats were they, the hairball ones? Could he have been trying to bring up a hairball?

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Which Greenies treats were they, the hairball ones? Could he have been trying to bring up a hairball?
It wasn't the hairball ones. Just the Savory Salmon dental treats. Honestly, this whole thing might be my fault and I feel terrible, but I read on the back of the package later that they're only for 1 yr and up, so I really shouldn't have been using them in the first place.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I think about it. The only change in his diet was that yesterday I bought some feline greenies. I gave him two this morning. Could that have done anything?
Greenies are fairly large treats. They could be too big for a 5 months kitten. I'd hold off on those until he's reached his adult size, around a year. He is getting quality foods and he doesn't need treats.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's right, the dental treats are really big, that could have caused the vomiting. I remember the first few times my female cat tried dental treats, she puked. She is fine with them now.