Kitten Uses The Litter Boxes But Uses The Bed Too

Jennell2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 5 month old persian kitten. He was litter box trained using wood pellets. The first couple of weeks with us he used his box fine. Then he started going on the bed too. I added an extra box with regular litter and now he pees in that one, will poop once in the pellet one but do both on the bed. I clean them all daily. Any suggestions on how to get him to stop going on the bed is greatly appreciated.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry it's litter box issues that brought you here.

Did anything happen that might have caused him to feel stressed or territorial before he started using the bed? Is he an only pet? Is he neutered yet?

It's a bit different with kittens, than older cats, but I'll post links to some articles that might be helpful.

Also ensure you are cleaning the bedding with an enzyme cleaner. That is the only type that will totally remove the urine scent, and if he can still smell it, that could be why he keeps going on the bed.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory
How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box

Combat Cat Urine
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jennell2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your help. We do have other pets and they are good with him. I plan on having him neutered at 6 mos. Hopefully that will help.

Jeffsmith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help. We do have other pets and they are good with him. I plan on having him neutered at 6 mos. Hopefully that will help.
That should help

Why do you think he's using the bed too?

How many litter boxes do you have?

Jennell2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. We have 3 litter boxes. Two with regular litter and one with the pellets. I don't know why he is going on the bed. No one sleeps in that bed. And the other cat doesn't go in there.

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
try giving him some treats on that bed and maybe plugging in some feliway

Jennell2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I will try it.

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I had a young male cat who my grandmother forced me to get rid of because he kept peeing on my bed and I later saw him in a mall where the shelter was showing their animals and we asked them if they found the problem. They told me he had a urinary tract infection.