Kitten urine smell

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We took in a kitten on a temporary basis (adopter was allergic, long story).  I have had kittens here before but never had any issues with them peeing in inappropriate places.

Kitten is 8 weeks old (so they say, he seems small).  He knows how to use the litter box but has also peed on blankets and other things that were on the floor.  I know that isn't completely unusual for a kitten, they are still learning about the litter box.

My concern is that the urine doesn't smell like cat pee, it smells kind of like a hamster cage.  Is that normal for a kitten?  Maybe their urine doesn't start smelling like cat pee until they are older, I don't know . . . I never had a kitten before the ones we took in this summer and they never peed anywhere but in the box.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes when they're too scared to make it to the litterbox they will go on the nearest thing. Is the litterbox really close to him? As far as the smell I'm not sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes the box is very accessible. I am not so worried about him missing the box as I am the smell.

I know a vet that is open Sundays (with no premium fees), I will see how he is in the morning.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes if the smell is off that could be an indication of infection which will cause the soiling on its own. If everything checks out, I think he's may be just scared...and should stop urinating once he's secure in his surroundings.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes the box is very accessible. I am not so worried about him missing the box as I am the smell.

I know a vet that is open Sundays (with no premium fees), I will see how he is in the morning.
Good you are doing this vet check. During the time,  make him perhaps yet another litter, so he always has near to a litter.  And also, can choose between them, if he so wish.
Yes if the smell is off that could be an indication of infection which will cause the soiling on its own. If everything checks out, I think he's may be just scared...and should stop urinating once he's secure in his surroundings.

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitten continues to pee on my daughter's bed but the urine doesn't smell like anything at all.  I think he is bored because she is locking him in there, he is only doing this at night and only on her bed (and there are four other beds up there that he could pee on.

We are working through a solution, but he is otherwise healthy and shows no signs of straining. I am going to try some Kitten Attract litter. 

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been checked by the vet? If he's healthy otherwise It sounds like an insecurity issue. Is he peeing on the bed while your daughter is in it? If he's peeing on the one daughter's bed that he's closest to he may be claiming her as his. In an unwanted way of course. As he gets more secure hopefully it will stop as this is usually done by insecure cats. I'd continue to get more attractive litter to him and add litterboxes as well. Cats don't usually pee on things out of boredom....there's always some reason.

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten litter had the same issue where a few of them would go on the blankets where we had them set up at. After the weird smelling urine accrued we found a slimy thing of poo on the floor with 2 roundworms in it. So I think it might be a case of roundworms. Once treated though the smell went back to normal and we never found anymore worms. It would still come up in a fecal test if they have you do one. 

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has been dewormed once and it is too early to do another deworming.  He has been vet checked and he is fine.

I think it is mostly boredom and frustration because once she opened her door he came tearing out, used the other litter boxes upstairs and was as right as rain.

She is going to leave her door open tonight, we will see what happens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good idea to leave the door open. I was going to ask why he was being closed up in her room. It sounds like that is the issue. He's bored and frustrated and acts out by peeing on her bed. Sounds like he needs to be free to explore outside her room and socialize with others!

Let us know if this works.

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We were closing the door because I have adult cats and a big, dumb dog. The kitten and cats are fine together but the kitten really doesn't like the dog. Dog is a year and a half old german shepherd. Really good with kittens (we had a stray litter here in the summer) but he is just a bit much - still very much a puppy but 70+ pounds of puppy. Kitten was kept in the bedroom at night for his safety but we are just using a gate now to give him a safe, dog-free place and that seems to be ok.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's good to hear. Has the kitten been urinating in the box now that the door is open?

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So far so good.  Let's see if we can get two nights in a row.

That Kitten Attract litter seems to work, as soon as I put it down the kitten was in and all the other cats are coming to pee in it too even though they don't actually fit in that little box.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, I hope things continue to go well! You may need to give the others the same litter in their own bigger boxes ;).

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh I hope not.  I can't afford it.  That litter is $17.99 (Canadian) for a little box.  We have four big litter boxes.  I would go broke! :D

Kitten is only here for about 2 more weeks.  He sure is a cutie pie.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, I see! Well, you might mention to whomever is getting him that this litter seemed to help him find the litter box.

It was nice of you to keep him temporarily. Best of luck!

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I already have! It is a friend of mine that is adopting him but she has to travel until the 27th so i get to enjoy the cuteness. And that gives him 2 more weeks to become a litter trained master.