Kitten Urinating All Over The House

candicew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I have never had this issue so I'm coming here
we have two brothers, adopted them at 6/7 months old.. they NEVER urinated anywhere in the house then their litter box.
Then we adopted Willow, she was almost 8 years old. And again. she always goes in her box.
BUT the kitten.. Well I never had a little kitten.
I did not realize in the being a kitten they need special 'kitten litter'
I just learned this yesterday.
When I watch her she goes in the litter boxes.. over and over.. BUT turns out she ALSO using other places all over the house.
It was the hall closet about a week ago. Though it was an isolated incident.. but turns out no..
Yesterday we found the whole downstairs toy area, where the legos are kept.. has been turned in to litter box for her.. :( in her defiance though, legos when scratched around, do resemble a litter box as it was all in a closeted area.. never the less.. no good!
I cleaned up, then went up stairs and found where she had been urinating all in laundry bases full of clothing :( :( :( OK at this point I got a bit flustered.
I did not say anything to kitten as I was not sure she would even understand?
I had no idea what was going on.

so I went to pets mart. got a few more litter boxes and then talked to someone there and they directed me to "kitten litter"
I bought it and at first she did not like. she went over the other box and peeed when I put her in the new litter. But later that day saw she used it.
So now we have 5 litter boxes 3 with SWheat litter and two with Kitten litter.

Petsmart employee said, start with this litter and see how it goes.

WELL this am found urine on my son bed and blankets :( :(

OK.. so now for the time being kitten is isolated in her own room. with toys, food and a little box. AND NO CLOTH TO PEE on. And my thought it that she is kept isolated for at least a few days (or more??) to get this litter training down.
I knew when I first got her she was a barn kitten. She was raised in a barn until she was 12 weeks then surrendered to a shelter. I did sit with her a few days in her isolated room when she first came home litter training her, and she did good, at least I thought but not sure why this back slide.. but not working for our family that for everything, like a barn eh?!, has become a litter box for her. :(
We need to nip this in the bum now .. and make sure she gets litter trained for good.

So now what? Is my idea Good? What else must I do or should I do?

Thanks

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Can you take the kitten to the vet to check for a UTI? It's always best to rule out any possible medical causes first.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was a good idea that you put her in her own room, that will probably make it easier for her to remember where the litter box is. Is it an uncovered litter box? Is she getting canned food every day? That might help with urinary problems because it has a lot of moisture in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candicew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was a good idea that you put her in her own room, that will probably make it easier for her to remember where the litter box is. Is it an uncovered litter box? Is she getting canned food every day? That might help with urinary problems because it has a lot of moisture in it.
Yes it is uncovered and yes she gets canned. she eats at least 3 cans of wet a day and gets dry in a bowl all the time

Can you take the kitten to the vet to check for a UTI? It's always best to rule out any possible medical causes first.
Yes I have to take her in for her booster shots in the next few days so will talk to them then. I don't think it is, but yes worth at least checking out.
I really just think she might be confused.
She was never litter trained 100% by the shelter as she was there so little time.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Litter training kittens can take a few weeks. Don't sweat a few accidents on the way :) she is a toddler. Often it is best to let them learn from their mother/other cats. You can place her gently in the litter box after you feed her. I have even dug in the litter a tiny bit with my fingers to show a kitten before... then "helped" them dig a little with their paws... followed by lots of hand washing ;) She will get the idea so amazingly fast! :)

In a week or so, allow her access around the home on an empty belly. I would expand it one room at a time ... showing her where each litter box is, in each room you let her go in.

If she has another accident ... I might even put her poo once in the litter box so she gets by smell "my poo goes here." Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candicew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Litter training kittens can take a few weeks. Don't sweat a few accidents on the way :) she is a toddler. Often it is best to let them learn from their mother/other cats. You can place her gently in the litter box after you feed her. I have even dug in the litter a tiny bit with my fingers to show a kitten before... then "helped" them dig a little with their paws... followed by lots of hand washing ;) She will get the idea so amazingly fast! :)

In a week or so, allow her access around the home on an empty belly. I would expand it one room at a time ... showing her where each litter box is, in each room you let her go in.

If she has another accident ... I might even put her poo once in the litter box so she gets by smell "my poo goes here." Please keep us posted.
Thanks! Yes I did all that in the beginning. But now I will stat all over with the special kitten attract litter as there seems to be a misunderstanding going on LOL
She has been here in the home for almost a month now, so the first few weeks I watched her very closely and did all that and it was going great. then all of sudden this.
the house big though and she is so tiny.. maybe like a baby.. she was playing down stairs and could not back it up to the potty box eh.
When I stat to let her roam a bit more, I will be leaning of of her litter boxes downstairs as well to help I hope