Kitten Uri!

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This little guy, Artcityclaws The Professional, AKA Leon, has a pretty nasty URI. The vet has us giving him Zpak and a decongestant.

FB_IMG_1539502363763.jpg

We're also using a humidifier and pedialyte, as my idea, but I want to do more. I want this thing gone. He's such a sweet baby and it kills me to see him sick.

So, my question to you all is, what more can I do? The ZPak isn't working as fast as I'd like. The humidifier and decongestant are helping, but I still hear congestion. I want to turn his immune system into a bloody marine corps. I'm thinking of upgrading the food. Usually, this is an Orijen or Go! household, but we've had monitory troubles recently. However, those monetary troubles are over (this next paycheck is 6 grand) so, we're going to start mixing Orijen with the Instinct Raw Boost we've been feeding starting today, unless there's an alternative anyone can suggest that's better. Any other advice at all would be appreciated. I just wanna see him be his crazy, war cry trilling, people climbing, back riding, trouble making self again. Any advice at all is welcome.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded yet, but I am sure there are members who will see this and offer their advice.

How long has he been on ZPak? As with most antibiotics it may take at least 3 days - sometimes up to a week - to really begin to see signs that it is working.

Very pretty guy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded yet, but I am sure there are members who will see this and offer their advice.

How long has he been on ZPak? As with most antibiotics it may take at least 3 days - sometimes up to a week - to really begin to see signs that it is working.

Very pretty guy!
He's been on it for four days. It's just that he seems to be worsening, not improving. But then, if I remember my micro courses correctly, it's a gram negative bacteria, it would get worse before it gets better. He's just at a tender age. The little guy is just three months. I worry about him. I do have a record of being the disease paranoid cat mom. I always worry that they're dying whenever they get the post vaccine slumps, or they have a bad fur day.

Can you speak to your vet about what more you can do?
It's Sunday, but I can give a call tomorrow. I'm thinking that, because his nose is stuffy, he may not be eating enough. Their sense of smell drives them to eat. I'm going to start putting him next to the bowl and petting him, encouraging him to eat more. Anything to fire up that immune system. We just started the humidifier and Pedialyte though, so hopefully they'll have an added effect.

My adult male got it too, but he's already improved a lot, so that tells me the medicine can take it down. Its just harder with a young kitten.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: Went back to the vet yesterday. They gave him a shot, and some eye and nose drops to go along with the usual antibiotic. We're going full tilt on this thing.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He already seems a little better after the shot. I forget what antibiotic it was, but it was clearly the potent stuff!