Kitten trouble :(

han_bee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hiya,

We bought 2 tortie kittens 3 weeks ago, and the whole time we've had them they have had two problems.
Firstly, they constantly have diarrhea. We put it down to nerves at first, but after a week it hadn't gone away. They were only eating whiskars pouch meat at the time. We then changed their diet to whiskars biscuits and meat. It still didn't change. We then bought expensive James Well-beloved biscuits and fed them a biscuit only diet for 48 hours, and still nothing improved. Every now and then we get a 'soft' poo but never a normal one like our previous cats had.
Also, it can't be due to dehydration because for the first week we gave them kitten milk and after that they have had water only and we always check to make sure they have drank.

Secondly, they have a dark, crusty build up of something in their ears that makes them scratch. My kitten Bee had a sleep today for about 2 hours, and when she woke up and I went for a cuddle she went stiff and attacked me really badly to get me to put her down. She then ran off to the side with her ear folded down. Could it be ear mites?

We've booked them in for the vets this evening anyway, just wanted to know if anyone here has had experience of this and if you have any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Han.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, kittens frequently have worms and other parasites, so getting to the vet is the best thing to do. Ear mites shouldn't be a problem in good conditions (where did you get them?), but are easily taken care of with some meds from the vet.

I don't think the kitty attcked you because of ear mites, though. She was sleeping and wasn't ready to be picked up, and it scared her. She doesn't know you very well yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

han_bee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, she wasn't asleep when I picked her up. And she sleeps with me in my room (both my cats share my room with me at night) and therefore they know me best of all which is why it was very strange and out of character.

Going to the vets in half an hours time, so will have an update soon.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet visit should tell you many things. My first thought is a parasite of some kind. Your vet should be able to tell you more. I don't know if you have them on a wet diet or a mixed diet of wet and kibble. If you're not on a mixed diet, you might try a mixed diet of a premium dry food and then add the wet. Take care and keep us posted on what the vet says.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
and your new kittens need a vet right away. First, they must have a parasite and need wormings. Secondly, I am sure from what you describe they have ear mites. And, that could cause some pain and make them panic like when you were holding the one. There is a product called Revolution which will take care of parasite and ear mites. But you need to get this from the vet anyway. I would not feed them milk. This will aggravate the diarhea. They will probably need a bland diet for a day and you can get this from the vet too. Poor little darlings
and congratz on your new furbabies. Hope they get better very soon.

han_bee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, thank you for your comments.

Back from the vets now, one kitten (Bee) has confirmed ear mites and has been given a treatment of ear drops for them. It is called 'Surolan' and she has already been given one part of the treatment. She said not to give the treatment to Poppy as her ears appear fine but if she starts to show symptoms (as mites are very easily transferred from cat to cat) then we have to take her back to the vet.

Both of them had their temperatures taken (
) and they are a bit warmer than they should be, but apart from that the vet said they are fine. We need to send off a poo sample tomorrow morning from both kittens though regards to their troubles.

She also gave us a paste called 'Pro-Kolin' to help with their tummy troubles, but any other problems will be identified from the samples.

han_bee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bee really doesn't like having the paste, it's a big tube and we have to open her mouth and squirt it down. Of course it sounds rather uncomfortable so we have had to wrap the kittens individually in a towel when giving it to them. It's a meaty paste so it's not the taste she doesn't like, it must just be the tube instead.

Anyone got any ideas or tips how to give a kitten her medicine? Poppy takes it fine, it's just Bee who won't.

Also, can't just squirt it on the floor and let her lick it up, it's not THAT tasty haha x

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you got the kittens to the vet. Sounds like they will be on the mend soon. Good luck with the meat paste medicine. I've never had to deal with that so I have no suggestions. I don't know if you could use a pill shooter with a paste or not. I'll leave this to the folks with more experience and knowledge.

han_bee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are now concerned about what might be in their poo, my mum has seen specs of white which could indicate worms, and we have already noticed they are constantly hungry and always have big round bellies upon inspection.

How old are kittens meant to be when they receive their first worming treatment, and second, and third etc? Thanks for any help.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Han_Bee

We are now concerned about what might be in their poo, my mum has seen specs of white which could indicate worms, and we have already noticed they are constantly hungry and always have big round bellies upon inspection.

How old are kittens meant to be when they receive their first worming treatment, and second, and third etc? Thanks for any help.
Best to get the kittens to the vet to determine what kind, if any, type of worm they might have. A treatment plan by the vet is probably your best bet at this point.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NutroMike

Best to get the kittens to the vet to determine what kind, if any, type of worm they might have. A treatment plan by the vet is probably your best bet at this point.
EDIT - Hit send too fast - And I also meant to ask why the vet didn't check for worms when you had them there? Is there any reason the vet did not ask you to bring a stool sample when you made the appointment? They don't really have to have a stool sample if you don't have one. They'll get a sample if they need it. I'm really surprised they were not checked for worms by the vet. Especially if the bellies are swollen.

han_bee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They were checked, but we thought we saw white bits in their feces. Got one half of the results from their samples yesterday, turns out they don't have parasites or worms
We wormed them yesterday though, that was hard work!

rockyzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i would see a vet i think you have tryed everything that you have the knowhow to do let the vet check them