Kitten treated 4 times for ringworm but still has them

LittleRiceBall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all! My little dude Henry (8 mo) has had a rough ride with gastro-intestinal issues. He's been treated 4 times for worms, and I thought he was finally over it, but he just got sick today and low and behold, still worms. We've treated him with two different dewormers, too. Does anyone know why this would be happening? I'm very frustrated and worried for my little guy.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an FYI ringworm is a fungus that affects the skin. If your kittens has worms the vet should provide the correct medicine to treat. Have you been worming her with over the counter wormers?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LittleRiceBall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an FYI ringworm is a fungus that affects the skin. If your kittens has worms the vet should provide the correct medicine to treat. Have you been worming her with over the counter wormers?
No, all the dewormers have been ones the vet has provided. I can't remember their names right now, though! They were both prescription. One was light-sensitive, and he got two doses of that. I'm honestly convinces now that his hair loss issues are directly related to his ring worm, too.

LittleRiceBall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ringworm is a skin rash...does he have intestinal worms? Or a skin problem?
He does have intestinal worms, but as far as I know, ringworms are both intestinal and skin-related in cats. For people tho they're only rashes.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Re-infection is likely if your kitten has access to the outdoors and/or if he hunts mice/bugs. I would suggest asking the vet about a monthly flea preventative that also treats roundworms like Revolution (selamectin)

LittleRiceBall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Re-infection is likely if your kitten has access to the outdoors and/or if he hunts mice/bugs. I would suggest asking the vet about a monthly flea preventative that also treats roundworms like Revolution (selamectin)
That sounds like a very good option to me! Thanks for the advice :)

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
No, all the dewormers have been ones the vet has provided. I can't remember their names right now, though! They were both prescription. One was light-sensitive, and he got two doses of that. I'm honestly convinces now that his hair loss issues are directly related to his ring worm, too.
So you’ve confirmed it’s roundworm, but you had said earlier he’s experiencing hair loss?

What did the vet say is causing the hair loss then?

Also, it is basically routine to administer a dewormer twice, usually 2-3 weeks apart, due to the parasite life cycles. I would consider this standard.

Like someone said, if kitty has access to outdoors, then the likelihood of a constant cycle of reinfection is likely, especially without preventative and without semi-regular dewormings and/or stool screenings.

As mentioned, Revolution is a great all-around general parasite preventative.