Kitten Training!

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a couple of kitten training questions. Just want to make sure I do it right!

They're at an age now where they are starting to scratch stuff. They have two cardboard scratchers and I'm going to go get them some more (and a carpet one to see if they like that better) but how do I teach them to scratch the right objects? I've been picking them up and putting them on the scratcherrs when they scratch where they aren't supposed to, and I praise the hell out of them when they scratch the right place. Patience and time? lol.

Secondly: the kitchen table!!!! They jump up there all the time now, and I clap/hiss at them and tell them to get down, which they do. But I woke up at 1am and went to get a drink and wouldn't you guess where they were sleeping?! Right in the middle of the table!!! I had to laugh. But, help!? lol.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope this link helps you with your kitties and the issue with the kitchen table

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/get-off-how-to-discourage-your-cat-from-jumping-on-counters

as for using the scratching post, rub some cat nip on it so they are attracted to it and want to be around it. Also, when you notice them scratching on something they shouldn't scratch, pick them up and place them on the scratching post. It has worked for me. I have one scratching post, the carpeted one. works good for me and my kitties.

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put double sided tape on the corners of stuff. I even put it on a door or the corner of a wall ( I have one cat that likes to do a little scratching as a wake-up call.....)

Also, the dreaded squirt bottle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you!! 

I think from watching them that Miami is a vertical scratcher, and Cairo a horizontal one. I have one horizontal and one angled scratcher, and tonight I brought home a scratching post with a feather toy on it and a tunnel for hiding in. Miami LOOOOOVES it. She hasn't stopped playing with it since I got home. I want to get them a big tree but that will have to wait until we are finished our kitten vaccines! ;)

That article about the tabletops is super helpful! I'm going to have to try that to see if it works. :)