Kitten too excited for treats

ezramc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I try feeding my kitten treats like those meat tubes in order to bond with her and have a nice relaxing time. But it ends up being a disaster. She starts to bite the package as well as my fingers and hurries the process by wanting to eat really quickly. I end up with bites and rashes (i'm allergic) on my hand and the torn packaging of the treat. Is there and way to teach her to be more gentle?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Putting a treat in your hand is cute and all, we have all done that probably, but I don't think that is an essential part of it. Nowadays I shake the treat bag while standing to signal, and just put a treat on the ground where they can see it. Serves all the same purposes and you wont get attacked. Even better, you can use the sound of the shaking bag to signal that they are expected to do something before getting the treat. This is useful for getting cats in carriers, in rooms they don't want to go in and potentially much more.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know how old your kitten is or how long you have had her, but I think for now abandon that treat - or the approach you are using and try putting some of the meat tube contents on a plate and leave it on the floor for her to eat.

Bonding can be done through play, and some occurs naturally through just providing her food and water, as well as offering her pets if she likes to be petted. You can even bond with her by brushing her.

If you were using that kind of treat to enable you to get some 'cuddle' time with her, obviously that isn't going to work right now. Brushing and petting sessions might be a better way to get 'cuddle' time with her.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if this helps but I used to be allergic to cats too. I guess exposure every day to my kitchens dander seemed to negate or let my immune system becomes accustom cat dander.
As for treats I try and buy small solid treats. When she was a kitten I would throw the treats around to tire her out and give her some exercise without without her over indulging in treats as for treats I try and buy small treats. When she was a kitten I will throw the treats around to tire her out and give her some exercise without her over indulging in traits.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Instead of using the tube-like treats, try something with individual pieces, that you can put on the floor or in a dish.

As for biting your fingers, make sure you say "owwwww" in a high pitched tone when she bites you, so she'll learn she's hurting you.

Here's a link to an article from the Humane Society. It does mention using a spray water bottle, which is not recommended. But other than that, some of the tips may be helpful.

Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat | TheCatSite

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I try feeding my kitten treats like those meat tubes in order to bond with her and have a nice relaxing time. But it ends up being a disaster. She starts to bite the package as well as my fingers and hurries the process by wanting to eat really quickly. I end up with bites and rashes (i'm allergic) on my hand and the torn packaging of the treat. Is there and way to teach her to be more gentle?
i would ditch the cat food tube idea.
cats will usually eat off your paw no problem but most cat will just go 'thank you' grabbing the food to eat where shes comfortable.
i hope your not trying to raise your cat like a dog?
a cat does not have the innate pack mentality or blind loyalty a dog does, its physically also not built for dog walks as cats are built for high intensity short bursts of power.