kitten too curious for her own good

jamie_02

1 kitty ; 1 year old cat named quinn <3
Young Cat
Purraise
hey !! so my 8wk old kitten quinn is extremely mischievous, she loves going places she shouldn’t be (eg, behind the tv and somehow sneaking through / finding ways past our kitten proofing of tiny gaps) she’s a climber, she loves climbing, shes been a climber from before we brought her home, constantly climbing out of the whelping cage they had lmao, she also always has the zoomies, we play play play with her but it just never seems enough, we have quite a few independent sources of entertainment for her too, the living room is the only room she has access to at the moment, she sleeps pretty okay at night, we’re giving her access to everywhere else soon apart from the kitchen because there’s a few repairs that need doing before she can go in there (cupboard doors are broke :sigh: ) she’s just so difficult sometimes, any advice on how to calm her down / stop her from getting into trouble would be helpful, i love her endlessly and would never change her for the world she’s just too curious for her own good sometimes :ohwell::hearthrob:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As all kittens are!!! Kittens are tiny bundles of pure energy, constantly playing, always curious, always getting into trouble. Just hold on to the thought "This too will pass", as all parents do. She will become a couch potato soon enough. I have been watching my poor mother cat trying to keep all her babies safe and in sight, it is exhausting just watching her! Many people get two kittens to keep them out of trouble because they are too busy playing with each other. I guess all I have to offer is it gives you the incentive to get those cabinet doors fixes, block access to harmful situations, and buy LOTS of kitten food because she is using a lot of energy right now. Feed her a big meal before bedtime, kittens with a full stomach sleep just as hard as they play. Have at least one room that she can safely be in when you are just too tired to watch her, have lots of toys and a cat tree to tire her out and keep her from exploring too much and keep some toys in a catnip-filled plastic bag to rotate with the others to keep them interesting. I love a toy that they call a 'kickeroo', i get mine on Amazon or Walmart, they are great to throw towards her for distraction when she looks like she is getting into somewhere she shouldn't, and the bunny kicking gets them tired!
Congratulations on your new little one! Try to enjoy her antics, there is NOTHING cuter than a playing kitten!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a lovely, if exhausting time when they are young kittens. Just enjoy her antics and try to keep her out of trouble as best you can. They grow up and settle so quickly.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens range from 8 to 11 on the 1 to 10 activity scale. Getting an 11 is a not uncommon challenge.

You can't really stop them from getting into trouble. Try to kitten proof as best you can, and react to everything else. If kitten discovers the toilet paper roll, get in the habit of closing bathroom door -- that sort of thing. If kitten discovers curtains can be climbed, a loud "no!" and removal will often work with time. It can feel like putting out fires, but as everyeone else said, it gets better!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hey !! so my 8wk old kitten quinn is extremely mischievous, she loves going places she shouldn’t be (eg, behind the tv and somehow sneaking through / finding ways past our kitten proofing of tiny gaps) she’s a climber, she loves climbing, shes been a climber from before we brought her home, constantly climbing out of the whelping cage they had lmao, she also always has the zoomies, we play play play with her but it just never seems enough, we have quite a few independent sources of entertainment for her too, the living room is the only room she has access to at the moment, she sleeps pretty okay at night, we’re giving her access to everywhere else soon apart from the kitchen because there’s a few repairs that need doing before she can go in there (cupboard doors are broke :sigh: ) she’s just so difficult sometimes, any advice on how to calm her down / stop her from getting into trouble would be helpful, i love her endlessly and would never change her for the world she’s just too curious for her own good sometimes :ohwell::hearthrob:
nothing you can do except watch her like a hawk and confine her in a safe room during the repair hours/time. the world is her play ground now to explore.or set somthing up that keeps her attention focused like a cat tree by a window where she can watch birds etc. or buy a small critter that she can watch like a mouse/ hamster

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
Nope. She's too young to understand most dangers, so just keep a close eye on her, and enjoy everything there is to enjoy about having a kitten.

If you need any tips on kitten proofing, TCS has this article:
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips – TheCatSite Articles
i’m absolutely loving having a kitten, keeping an eye out and constantly stopping her mischief can be tiring but its so worth it because she’s the sweetest kitten ever, thank you sm for linking me to that article btw !! very helpful

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
nothing you can do except watch her like a hawk and confine her in a safe room during the repair hours/time. the world is her play ground now to explore.or set somthing up that keeps her attention focused like a cat tree by a window where she can watch birds etc. or buy a small critter that she can watch like a mouse/ hamster
her cat tree is next to the window n she loves it, not too many birds today though as its raining pretty heavy haha, we still have to keep a close eye on her though as she’s quite clumsy and has had a few slips and almost falls :lol:

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
As all kittens are!!! Kittens are tiny bundles of pure energy, constantly playing, always curious, always getting into trouble. Just hold on to the thought "This too will pass", as all parents do. She will become a couch potato soon enough. I have been watching my poor mother cat trying to keep all her babies safe and in sight, it is exhausting just watching her! Many people get two kittens to keep them out of trouble because they are too busy playing with each other. I guess all I have to offer is it gives you the incentive to get those cabinet doors fixes, block access to harmful situations, and buy LOTS of kitten food because she is using a lot of energy right now. Feed her a big meal before bedtime, kittens with a full stomach sleep just as hard as they play. Have at least one room that she can safely be in when you are just too tired to watch her, have lots of toys and a cat tree to tire her out and keep her from exploring too much and keep some toys in a catnip-filled plastic bag to rotate with the others to keep them interesting. I love a toy that they call a 'kickeroo', i get mine on Amazon or Walmart, they are great to throw towards her for distraction when she looks like she is getting into somewhere she shouldn't, and the bunny kicking gets them tired!
Congratulations on your new little one! Try to enjoy her antics, there is NOTHING cuter than a playing kitten!
this comment has been really helpful, just ordered some kicker toys for her, gonna try the big meal before bed tonight, we have a repair man coming to fix our doors monday as i have no clue what i’m doing :lol: i was going to get two kittens originally but her brother and sister were both spoken for but i absolutely fell in love with her and had to bring her home :lol::hearthrob: also i agree, she’s so cute when playing with her toys, she loves to pop her head in and out of holes i’ve cut in boxes and it’s honestly adorable
9448A618-9EB1-4425-963F-5395153B4902.jpeg

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
her cat tree is next to the window n she loves it, not too many birds today though as its raining pretty heavy haha, we still have to keep a close eye on her though as she’s quite clumsy and has had a few slips and almost falls :lol:
:lol:i would suggest buying a tarantula then provides hours and hours of just sitting there watching it

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's still young enough to get along with any kitten or even older cat. Proper cat introductions are still a must. How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Neither of my cats are related and I got one 3 months after the other but they get along well. Having a second cat really helped keep my other cat occupied and (mostly) out of trouble as a kitten.

Kittens range from 8 to 11 on the 1 to 10 activity scale. Getting an 11 is a not uncommon challenge.

Leroy was a 100. He literally was bouncing off the walls non stop 24/7 :eek2::eek2: He's 11 years old now. And still has an activity level of 100 :doh: