Kitten Throws Up After Being Spayed

fosterkitties98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I might be totally overthinking this but just wanted to get some opinions. One of my foster kittens (2.5 months 3.2lbs) got spayed on Wednesday (so two days ago) and I heard her eat some of her food and then walk into the bathroom and she threw up. Her throw up was like 8 pieces of the food she just ate. I’ve noticed she hasn’t been eating as much as she usually does, but she has been drinking water. Is this normal or should be concerned?

Also another question, her spay incision is green. Whatever the vet used was green, so I’m assuming it’s some type of glue? There is a small firm bump on the side of her incision but I’ve head that’s normal.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats take longer to get over the anesthesia. It's still been less than 72 hours. I would keep an eye on her over the weekend but be prepared to make an ER vet trip, but that's an absolute worse case scenario. She should be fine. :)

As long as the incision isn't opened, has no heat to it, and isn't weeping, it should be ok. The lump is just scar tissue from the incision.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Am I reading this right, that she threw up once, and is now eating, but less than usual? If that's correct, I think that everything is going to be ok. Just watch her, make sure she is eating something, and if things seem to be getting worse, take her in without delay. However, if she ONLY ate once, then we're talking about something different. She should not be allowed to go past today without eating, so you may want to take her in this afternoon.

The incision sounds fine, especially since the "green" is from what the vet used. If there is no redness, puffiness, or oozing, you're ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fosterkitties98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats take longer to get over the anesthesia. It's still been less than 72 hours. I would keep an eye on her over the weekend but be prepared to make an ER vet trip, but that's an absolute worse case scenario. She should be fine. :)

As long as the incision isn't opened, has no heat to it, and isn't weeping, it should be ok. The lump is just scar tissue from the incision.
Okay thank you! I will definitely keep an eye on her. She’s a little sleepier than usual but other than that her normal self. I think she is going to be fine as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fosterkitties98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Am I reading this right, that she threw up once, and is now eating, but less than usual? If that's correct, I think that everything is going to be ok. Just watch her, make sure she is eating something, and if things seem to be getting worse, take her in without delay. However, if she ONLY ate once, then we're talking about something different. She should not be allowed to go past today without eating, so you may want to take her in this afternoon.

The incision sounds fine, especially since the "green" is from what the vet used. If there is no redness, puffiness, or oozing, you're ok.
She’s eaten multiple times since getting spayed! Sorry about the wording. She threw up once after eating today, that’s what I meant. She’s held down water and every other meal. There is tiny slight redness by the lump, so i’ll keep an eye on her. Thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are more than welcome. That's what we're here for. A tiny bit of redness right by the incision is going to happen, just make sure it doesn't get significantly larger. My best bet is that all is well.