Kitten Tests?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can someone remind me what tests I need to have on the kittens before giving them up for adoption.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only test I can think of is for Feline Leukemia. It isn't 100 percent accurate with young kittens but it is good to have done. Also they should be dewormed and started on their shots. Are you having them spayed/neutered or have some way of making sure that it will be done?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yes one has gotten his first shots. girl is going this week, she had a URI so we waited. They were both dewormed. Yes planning on waiting to have them fixed before giving away.

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

I love cats but I'm not lonely
Young Cat
Purraise
They need to be tested for Feline Leukemia and FIV. They should also have their distemper shots. Roundworms is very common for cats, especially kittens, so make sure to give them de-worming medicine. They should be at least 6 months old to get spayed/neutered.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not just give away. You can always demand payment for vet services - have the receipts. All serious owners will accepts this glAdely

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They need to be tested for Feline Leukemia and FIV. They should also have their distemper shots. Roundworms is very common for cats, especially kittens, so make sure to give them de-worming medicine. They should be at least 6 months old to get spayed/neutered.
6 months is actually way older than necessary. Females can get pregnant by then!

Kittens can be fixed as early as 2 months or when they hit 2 pounds.

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

Young Cat
Purraise
6 months is actually way older than necessary. Females can get pregnant by then!

Kittens can be fixed as early as 2 months or when they hit 2 pounds.
Kittens may die from the anesthesia if they are sprayed/neutered too young, so 6 months is recommended.

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but it's not accurate.
I work at an animal shelter, and the owner has had cases where the vet she uses has sprayed/neutered them too early and they died from anesthesia. The vet has fixed their mistake now though, and waits until they are old enough. Better safe then sorry.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work at an animal shelter, and the owner has had cases where the vet she uses has sprayed/neutered them too early and they died from anesthesia. The vet has fixed their mistake now though, and waits until they are old enough. Better safe then sorry.
The anesthesia or gas has to be adjusted so it's appropriate for a kitten's size. If that's done, there is no problem.

The issue with waiting until 6 months is that females can get pregnant by then. It's not best to wait if babies are having babies and adding to overpopulation.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine had to wait until they were 3 lbs because they had such a rough start and the shelter wanted to make sure the immune system could handle surgery. But it is normally 2 lbs.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here they have to be 3 pounds.

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

Young Cat
Purraise
The anesthesia or gas has to be adjusted so it's appropriate for a kitten's size. If that's done, there is no problem.

The issue with waiting until 6 months is that females can get pregnant by then. It's not best to wait if babies are having babies and adding to overpopulation.
You don't have to wait 6 months, but if you only have 1 cat(won't reproduce), and if your kitten is underweight or something like that, it is best to be safe. It was just some advice I was giving, because some kittens may die when fixed too early.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way I see it, is that it is better to do it as early as possible. If a person has to wait until their cat is 6 months, then it goes out of mind. Or it's "I'll do it next month...one more month won't hurt". Then the cat accidentally gets out and the population explosion begins.

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

Young Cat
Purraise
The way I see it, is that it is better to do it as early as possible. If a person has to wait until their cat is 6 months, then it goes out of mind. Or it's "I'll do it next month...one more month won't hurt". Then the cat accidentally gets out and the population explosion begins.
I think you should read would I said again to understand what I'm saying.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't have to wait 6 months, but if you only have 1 cat(won't reproduce), and if your kitten is underweight or something like that, it is best to be safe. It was just some advice I was giving, because some kittens may die when fixed too early.
Kittens do not die from surgery when they are given appropriate medical care, unless there is an underlying issue. Saying that kittens may die is not helpful to the general cause of getting as many cats as possible spayed and neutered.

Female cats escape all the time at 6 months and come back pregnant. It's actually more safe not to wait.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you wanted to be extra cautious then you could get them done at three months/three pounds.
As far as testing, you can get them combo tested (FIV/FELV) but it is not accurate in kittens under the age of 6 months. We usually just combo test mom for kittens that are born in our facility.

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens do not die from surgery when they are given appropriate medical care, unless there is an underlying issue. Saying that kittens may die is not helpful to the general cause of getting as many cats as possible spayed and neutered.

Female cats escape all the time at 6 months and come back pregnant. It's actually more safe not to wait.
I'm stating information coming from an animal control officer, a lady with 23 cats, and two veterinarians. My information is not false. 4 months is okay, but 6 months is recommended. My older cats were neutered at 6 months and my kittens are 15 weeks old, and we aren't getting them spayed yet.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does it matter if they have already had their first shots? Before testing Fiv. I read it does and they already gave the boy his. Girl gets hers today.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it matter if they have already had their first shots? Before testing Fiv. I read it does and they already gave the boy his. Girl gets hers today.
Sorry, I might be confused. Does what matter?