Kitten Suddenly Yowling At Her Other Cat Friend

Emb55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

We have a 4 month old Havana Brown kitten and she is the best of friends with our 2 year old Siamese. She absolutely loves him follows him everywhere and copies everything he does.

Strangely she had taken herself off somewhere to sleep alone last night which she hasn’t done since she came to live with us and then this morning on seeing the Siamese has starting yowling (low pitch rumbling grown). I’ve only ever heard that before cats are about to fight, but I wondered whether it was different because she’s female?

Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks,

Ember

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going into heat could explain things, but your Siamese amy have inadvertently hurt her during a play session and she hasn't quite forgiven him yet. Avoidance and hiding are two good indicators. You might want to check her over good for any injuries. i have had 5 month old kittens get pregnant, so watch it. I would observe them together for the next couple of days and see what is going on. Your Siamese, or her for that manner, may have been badly disturbed or frightened by something out the window, or someone at the door, and attacked the other for real caused by misdirected aggression. In that case only time will help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emb55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds to me like she might be going into heat. Has she been spayed yet?
She’s not yet she’s just had a spell in hospital because she’s been really unwell so we didn’t want to rush her back in to get spayed so soon after. I’ve never had a female before I hadn’t realised it starts so young.

Emb55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds to me like she might be going into heat. Has she been spayed yet?
She’s not yet she’s just had a spell in hospital because she’s been really unwell so we didn’t want to rush her back in to get spayed so soon after. I’ve never had a female before I hadn’t realised it starts so young.

Going into heat could explain things, but your Siamese amy have inadvertently hurt her during a play session and she hasn't quite forgiven him yet. Avoidance and hiding are two good indicators. You might want to check her over good for any injuries. i have had 5 month old kittens get pregnant, so watch it. I would observe them together for the next couple of days and see what is going on. Your Siamese, or her for that manner, may have been badly disturbed or frightened by something out the window, or someone at the door, and attacked the other for real caused by misdirected aggression. In that case only time will help.
That’s helpful thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she IS in heat or coming into it, there will be nonstop yowling that you cannot stop and she WILL get outside. Be very careful, it will take her a couple of weeks to get through it, and cats can almost immediately go back into heat until they are bred. My little feral girl who came into heat at five months, died giving birth, it was heartbreaking.....

Emb55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she IS in heat or coming into it, there will be nonstop yowling that you cannot stop and she WILL get outside. Be very careful, it will take her a couple of weeks to get through it, and cats can almost immediately go back into heat until they are bred. My little feral girl who came into heat at five months, died giving birth, it was heartbreaking.....
Oh god - do we have to wait until afterwards to spay her? Thankfully both my boys are neutered so we’re safe of the baby front.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, vets will not spay while they are in heat, so you will have to bear with her until she is done. But she may not be in heat yet, she just might be temporarily frightened of your boys. Watch her and if she gets quieter over the next few days instead of worse, make an appointment for her. She will enjoy a much calmer, quieter, safer life when she is spayed, and so will you!

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, vets will not spay while they are in heat, so you will have to bear with her until she is done. But she may not be in heat yet, she just might be temporarily frightened of your boys. Watch her and if she gets quieter over the next few days instead of worse, make an appointment for her. She will enjoy a much calmer, quieter, safer life when she is spayed, and so will you!
Actually, it will depend on the vet. My vet was willing to spay my girl on heat. The vet has to be comfortable with it though as it is more complicated. Luckily my girl came off heat quickly and just before her spay!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willingness to spay while they are in heat may depend on the vet. Our vet was willing to spay our two and my sister's Siamese when they were in heat. I understand it's a little more risky, and a little more expensive, but it's worth asking the vet if they'll do it. They will also spay in early pregnancy again slightly more risk and more expense.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob I'm sorry you lost your little feral. That's a terrible way to die and so unfair that it happens.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She always made my heart smile with her approach to life, she was tortoiseshell calico and had that 'tortie' attitude. There will always be a place in my heart for her.