Kitten suddenly started pooping outside litter box

Catl1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I have two male cats, one is a year and a half (Yoda), and the other, Boogie, is 6 months old. A few days ago, Boogie started going outside the litter box, always just a few feet from it. The poop looks normal in color and consistency... I have two litter boxes, one bigger than the other, and I haven't made any changes regarding the sand that I use or the place where the litter boxes are. I don't understand what's causing this behavior. I clean the litter boxes once a day and the last time he went outside, I had just cleaned it. He always goes outside the same litter box, the small one, so could it be that he is not comfortable anymore because he is growing in size? But then, why doesn't he use the other one? Also, Boogie is not neutered yet, could this be causing it?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering does help with litter box problems but that is usually for spraying. Cats ALWAYS have a reason for suddenly changing their habits. Get some good ENZYME spray specifically for cat urine, like Nature's Miracle, because if you just clean an area where they went they can still smell it even though we can't. the enzymes actually destroy the urine. He may have suddenly decided the box is too small, or he doesn't like the sand, or he suddenly decides he needs two boxes, one for stool and one for urine. The second box you have he may consider the other cats. The good thing is he WANTS to use the box because he goes near it. something is preventing him and it is up to you to figure it out. Watch for a few days, if you can, to make sure Yoda isn't bothering him while he goes. Then I would get a bigger pan, and if he still does it, a third pan to go along with your others. it may be just temporary until he gets older. Put different litter in one to see if that is it. I know how frustrating this is, one thing to be thankful for is it is near the box and not all over the house! All the luck!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Does Boogie poop inside the larger litter box? Does he use both boxes to pee in? On the assumption the two current boxes aren't close together, he probably doesn't think about the idea of going to the larger box when he has to poop.

I agree about getting another bigger box. Place it very close by the smaller one and see if he will choose the larger one since they are close together. If he continues to go outside both of those boxes, then remove the smaller box altogether and see if that stops him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catl1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neutering does help with litter box problems but that is usually for spraying. Cats ALWAYS have a reason for suddenly changing their habits. Get some good ENZYME spray specifically for cat urine, like Nature's Miracle, because if you just clean an area where they went they can still smell it even though we can't. the enzymes actually destroy the urine. He may have suddenly decided the box is too small, or he doesn't like the sand, or he suddenly decides he needs two boxes, one for stool and one for urine. The second box you have he may consider the other cats. The good thing is he WANTS to use the box because he goes near it. something is preventing him and it is up to you to figure it out. Watch for a few days, if you can, to make sure Yoda isn't bothering him while he goes. Then I would get a bigger pan, and if he still does it, a third pan to go along with your others. it may be just temporary until he gets older. Put different litter in one to see if that is it. I know how frustrating this is, one thing to be thankful for is it is near the box and not all over the house! All the luck!
Thank you for your answer! This morning I closed the door of the bedroom where the problematic litter box was and he still pooed right in front of the door. So he clearly knows he should go there and wants to go. A few hours ago I removed the cover of the smaller litter box to see if it was about him not having enough space or feeling trapped and he did poo in it! Hopefully the problem is solved... If the behavior persists, I'll try what you recommended!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catl1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Does Boogie poop inside the larger litter box? Does he use both boxes to pee in? On the assumption the two current boxes aren't close together, he probably doesn't think about the idea of going to the larger box when he has to poop.

I agree about getting another bigger box. Place it very close by the smaller one and see if he will choose the larger one since they are close together. If he continues to go outside both of those boxes, then remove the smaller box altogether and see if that stops him.
Hi! I think the problem was the first box being too small for him and him being uncomfortable. As soon as we removed the cover, he went in it. He does use the larger box for peeing and pooing too, though.