Kitten suddenly didn't use the litterbox! Blarhg!

lunies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! (Sorry for such a long post! I'm just trying to give all details for any possibility)

I have a Brother & Sister kittens hitting about 11 Weeks old soon...

We rescued them at around eight weeks old, they were use to this tiny litterbox in a cage with two other kittens (Probably more at one time) - When we brought them home they used the litterbox for the most part: the brother had one slip-up and went in the cage we brought him home in. 
That was pretty understandable too us: As he's young and it was a new place. 

They've been using the litterbox perfectly fine up until now. (They had REALLY bad coccidia and there were some drips... from not making it. But never-the-less they tried.

They've had much better, normal stools for a while now. 

We moved to our house about a week ago, but they've been using the litterbox fine up until now.

The brother again... had a slip-up. We put together this play-house thing. It was pretty cheap at walmart... They had been playing with it for a couple days (More so just recently. Last night and this morning). Except he pooped in the bottom! 

At least I assumed it was him because he kept going back trying to "cover it" as if there was litter there and he was using the litterbox correctly. 

Any ideas why he could have done that? He's been using the litterbox perfectly fine. - - We do plan on getting more boxes. Walmart was out and I'm not going to go pay $30 for one litterbox having just moved.

Side Note 1: When we first moved In this house I saw him scratching in the corner of one of the bedrooms (carpeted) as if he were about to use the litterbox. I took him quick quick to the litterbox where he didn't use it straight away: but did later. 

Side Note 2: I've noticed just this morning that the two of them have been playing, hiding and rolling around the litterbox: but not actually inside of it (That's I've seen). We have the litterbox on top of a towel, and they fling litter around all over that towel and now seem to be playing on the towel. 

Any ideas, suggestions: whatever! Is very helpful. We're just renting this house for now: So we really don't want any messes. And I don't want to clean it up, either! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just have the two kittens, and just the one litter box JUST for right now - After the repair man gets here we are going out to two more: Like I said. Every time we went out to Walmart they were out, hoping they finally stocked up.

It's just the litter box was clean when he didn't use it: and haven't had problems with them sharing before. 

Maybe he just wanted a cover and some more privacy...? We're going to try that as well. 

Only other thing is we've been using liners and they haven't had a problem with it: but that play house almost reminds me of that kind of material. Almost. 

I had completley cleaned out the litter again once he had done that, and he started jumping in and out of the litter box: playing with it

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try an unscented clumping litter. Also, is it possible to confine them to the area where the box is for awhile to see if they will use it.

kumitekat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try unscented litter too. It might be more stinky to you, but if it is more stinky to them, maybe they will get the point.

Also, kittens in shelters are forced to play in a small little cage right next to their litter box. The litter box becomes part of their play toys. Your kittens are likely not used to disassociating the two.

If your litter box is too close to the toys, try relocating it to a different location. Maybe the first place the boy started pawing at would be appropriate?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks too both of you for the answers. 

I haven't seen him slip-up again. So let's hope it stays that way. 

Having just moved and worrying about other things: I'm just stressed and on a rollercoaster. I'm only use too one cat: and I never had any problems with him, and when I adopted these two they were just buckets of trouble. p: 
Probably could have waited: but I do love em' already. 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's most likely just learning his way around. He's just a baby, and with the move and all the excitement, not to mention your stress (cats are emotional barometers) he just made a goof.

However, you may want to chuck that toy, rather than risk him returning to the spot because it smells like his poop now. Even if you can't smell it, he still will be able to.