Kitten Sucking On Stitches

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my temporary foster kittens is sucking on her stomach where her stitches are (from being spade). Is this normal? Could it cause problems?

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
It definitely could. Get her a cone to prevent her from suckling on them any more. She could introduce bacteria into her wounds and cause an infection which is never good. She could also pull the stitches and we don't want that happening either.

Elle316

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my temporary foster kittens is sucking on her stomach where her stitches are (from being spade). Is this normal? Could it cause problems?
I have the same issue with one of my foster kittens. We tried different types of cones but they only stressed her out more. Finally, I did a search online and found a product called Suitical, a suit that resembles a baby onesie but made for cats. It completely protects the surgical area and has a cutout around the rear allowing for litterbox use. So far, the kitten is doing well and is healing properly. Hope this helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Elle. I googled that suit and saw a kitten wearing one in an army fatigue pattern. It made me laugh. That does seem a little better than a cone. I am sure this little girl will be very upset if she has a cone. I'm not paying the medical bills for this kitty, so I'm waiting till Monday to see if the lady who takes them to the vet to decide what to do about this little one. I don't have the money to do it myself. Thanks for the suggestions. :)