Kitten stopped using litter box and started peeing in our bed!

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have a litter of small kittens who recently started using the litter box. One of them, a girl, stopped using the litter box after I changed it a few days ago. She started peeing and pooing on our bed instead! What could be the reason for such strange behavior? Does she not understand it is a toilet after I changed it? I placed her in there a few times, but she went straight out. Not sure how to resolve this issue. I sprayed some vinegar on my bed but it didn't help. She looks healthy and happy otherwise. She used to come and cuddle with us on our bed as well, but doesn't do it anymore, since she decided it is a toilet :) I washed all my blankets and bedsheets and really hope to find a way to resolve this problem. Does anyone know what may help? Thanks in advance.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When cats or kittens who've previously been using the litter box stop, it calls for a vet visit. I think your little one probably has a urinary tract infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When cats or kittens who've previously been using the litter box stop, it calls for a vet visit. I think your little one probably has a urinary tract infection.
Thanks, I will bring her to vet asap. Is it something vets can see on the day, or do they need to do blood tests and detailed investigations? just worrying as she is a very small kitten.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A urine sample for testing would probably be the first step. The vet can then do a urinalysis and urine culture to determine if there is an infection and what would be the best type of antibiotic to give her to clear it.

You could probably call your vet's office and see if they would let you 'walk in' so that they can collect some urine. My vet - or even some of the vet techs - just gently 'squeeze' the area where Feeby's bladder is and as long as there is urine in there, it is typically enough for testing.

Another thing to consider would be when you changed the litter box that you used another kind of litter, and she may not like it. You can also take her poop and place it in the litter box to see if she might decide to use it when she can smell her scent inside it.

Also, you might to cover your bed with plastic until you get this figured out. Should help to stop her from wanting to go on the bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for everyone's replies ❤
I collected a urine sample from her at home as advised by my vet - just held a cup under her while she was urinating. But then I didn't get to come in and give it to the vet on the same day. My vet only sees pets by appointment, and by the time I had my appointment, urine sample I took was already too old to check. In the meantime, the girl stopped peeing on our bed and started using litterbox as usual.

However, another kitten, a male one, started peeing everywhere instead! I also found poo in different places several times. He must be defecating in the litterbox most of the times, otherwise I would find poo outside of it more often, but unfortunately, he does not urinate in the litterbox. I placed him in it to urinate many times. The best he does is go out and urinate right next to the litterbox. Or he just simply does it elsewhere. He did use the litterbox before without any issues. We did not change the litter brand. I spoke to the vet about this in my appointment yesterday. She said males rarely get a urinary tract infection, especially such young ones. She thinks it's behaviour problem that might be caused by him growing and being stressed out about various things. She recommended to use Feliway, which I have mixed feelings about, as I used it in the past with different cats and hardly noticed any difference in their mood. What do you think I could do to help this male kitten use litterbox? Maybe the litter I use is not something he likes? Maybe I should use a softer variety? The current litter is the only litter he knows, but maybe it is hard for his paws? Or maybe I should really give this Feliway another try, or even buy for him some calming tablets? What do you think?