Kitten Stopped Being Affectionate And Bites So Much

Lwebster60

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys,

New kitten owner. I got him last week. He has very been affectionate, coming up to me and grooming my face. He has slept with me every night. He has biting while playing issue though. I decided to put him down while biting him to show I don’t like it. Now tonight he won’t go in the bed and its scared of my hands. How can I reinforce him licking me and being affectionate and teach him not to bite?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Just give him some time, he is still adjusting and may just be off exploring instead of hanging out with you. Putting him down gently or saying “ouch” in a loud voice, or even hissing at him are all ways to curb his biting. You may need to do this many many times before he understands and with kittens patience and time are the most important thing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And spend time sitting on the floor with him, as well. We're BIG to kittens, and the lower we are, the less threatening we appear. He'll get back to being loving again, I'm betting. Now, it may take a little while...he's a little kid, and little kids are far more interested in playing and exploring than they are with cuddling with Mom or Dad, but as they get older, they become more affectionate again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lwebster60

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much guys! And oops made a typo, *he bit me! I’m just hoping the biting behavior goes away. It’s becoming more frequent and he’s becoming more aggressive with it.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs to learn to bite /scratch his toys not you. All the above ways work. I would also add ending playtime for 15-30 minutes and ignoring him every time. Give him time :)

That said are these playful cat attack bites or love bites?

How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember that cats are carnivorous hunters. Stalking, pouncing, biting, are all instinctual hunting behaviors that kittens naturally fall into. I'd say be sure to play hunt with a large-ish stuffed toy of some sort, keeping hands out of it. Wait until the kitten is exhausted and calmed down to pet and handle.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try using a wand-type toy that gives him the hunt/catch/kill thrill while keeping your hands out of the line of fire!