Kitten still has diarrhea and leaky butt! Help!

Kinkar21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a 9 week old kitten from a very trusted rescue I've worked with before. He was neutered on Tuesday, and received all of his shots, and was dewormed. He is also on medication until Sunday for Coccidia. I know a symptom of Coccidia is runny poop but it seems to not be getting any better despite tomorrow being his last day for his meds. I know his little body is adjusting to surgery/wormer/shots/new environment/food change but his it's really not improving. It's not explosive diarrhea but when he sits anywhere he leaves a little poop streak because his butt is leaky! He was just fully better on Tuesday (today is Saturday). I don't know what to do!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kinkar21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fully vetted*

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a symptom of Coccidia is runny poop but it seems to not be getting any better despite tomorrow being his last day for his meds.
I don't know about this medicine but when an antibiotics give a human diarrhea as a side effect, and if the diarrhea isn't taken care of with probiotics, it's not uncommon to see poop stays loose until 1-3 days after the medicine is finished.

Give the vet a call to tell the situation and ask what can be done to support his immune system. I know some vets clinics get kittens neutered at that age but in my opinion he was too young. Where I live most vets would refuse to do it even if someone asked until the kitten is 4 months old at least. If this vet recommended getting him neutered now and even get the shots at the same time, personally I would find a different vet.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What medication is he on and did he start it on Tuesday? I'm only sightly familiar with two meds for Coccidia, and one is once and then again in two weeks, and the other is every day for up to three weeks, so am wondering what he is on.

Also, several people here in TCS have added S. Boulardi (a form of pro-biotic) to their cat's food when they are this issue to help ease the diarrhea. You might ask your Vet if it's ok to give it to such a young kitten, and if so, how much to give. But by all means, do contact your Vet and let them know he's still having the issue.

Hway10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi just adopted kitties from a trusted rescue fully vetted and one of them had serious diarrhea and leaky butt and super smelly. Did all the tests, fecal blood etc and everything came back negative. They gave us metronidazole and that helped harden the poo a tiny bit. Did about 15 doses of it and not much improvement. They then recommend a new food for us and that has been a MIRACLE. Less farts no diahrrea no leaky butt. It’s Hills brand Gastrointenstinal Biome Feline and is prescription only. Maybe ask your vet about this if all tests come back negative.