Kitten Stepping On Poo

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! My 14 weeks old steps on his poo (I don't know if he does it while leaving the tray or when he is still doing it) and then makes a bit of a mess on the tiles. I don't mind cleaning everything as it is our bathroom and the tiles are easy to clean, however unfortunately the fur on his rear paws remains a bit dirty as well.

My questions:
1) Should I let him clean himself at some point or should I help him gently with a wet tissue?
2) Can the litter be too small?
3) Do you know of any wet wipes I couldn't use for the floor and that are not toxic to him if he licks the floor by chance right after I clean?

Thank you in advance!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have heard there are store bought pet wipes available but I'd still check on whether they're truly safe-maybe baby wipes? Still..... My guy has very furry feet and one of the litters I use will stick now and then. I'm not sure about size, as it could be in the process of covering his business he steps into/on it and if that's the case the litter piece size wouldn't matter too much. I use a paper towel (tissue will leave little bits behind) with warm water so he doesn't ingest the pieces, even though he can get a bit grumpy about all the fuss. I use one clumping litter that does actually clump, one that's less dusty and doesn't clump as well and one corncob litter, all to try and cut down on the exposure to sodium bentonite.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think almost every kitten I've had will go through that phase. I use just a moist paper towel to clean the kitten as needed. You can also brush the kitten with a clean dry toothbrush to imitate another cat grooming. For the floor, tend to use a cat cleaner like Natures Miracle and wipe the area with a damp cloth after to cleanup any lingering residue.