Kitten Started Peeing On Dog Beds

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ive had logan for about 3 months now, he is around 5/6 months old. He has never peed outside the litter box before. Yesterday morning after I woke up he peed on the dog bed right in front of me, so I washed all the dog beds and then this morning he did it again! I'm so frustrated. Nothing has changed, he is healthy, he got neutered a week ago. It's not spraying but squatting and peeing. What can I do? I put him and my other cat in the cat room for now.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmmmmm...I'm thinking that this is connected, somehow, to his neutering. Even though he is squatting rather than the typical spraying, it could still be territorial marking, especially since it occurs on the dog beds. While this article Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory is more about actual spraying, the information should carry over nicely if that is the issue.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me like it may be a pain issue, especially as it started so close to his surgery. My girl pees outside the box from time to time, usually when she's stressed out or hurting, and her place of choice is often the dog bed too. I think it's just an easy place for them to choose :ohwell:

I'd go for a vet check, to make sure that he's healing ok and doesn't need any pain meds, and try setting up an extra litterbox close to the dog bed. Sometimes when they're sore or stressed, cats can't 'hold it' for as long, so adding a box near to their peeing spot can really help. It made a huge difference to my girl, and we've barely had problems since :)

Implementing anti stress measures, like Feliway diffusers can really help too.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
When Physical Problems Turn Into Behavior Problems

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I took him in today for a urine test, just waiting on the results, the doctor thinks it might be behavioral. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. Just weird if it is behavioral cause nothing has changed, him and my other cats and dogs all been together this whole time and are fine, same routine etc.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One thing HAS changed - he's been neutered. If everything checks out ok with the vet, my guess would be that this is a stress reaction to his surgery and vet stay. Anti stress measures, an extra box, and patience on your part should help him through this. I know all too well how frustrating it is, but the more you relax about it, the quicker he'll get through it.

My girl got so bad (whilst we were figuring out what was going on) that we covered the dog bed in puppy per pads for a while! Not ideal, but they're pretty cheap and great at protecting the bed (not to mention making clean-up easier ;) ).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I just figured since this started a week and a half after his neuter that it wouldn't be from that but hey I could be wrong. Getting the lab work back today. He peed twice again this am. It's frustrating. Thanks everyone.