Kitten spraying on DH

cookietown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pixie has recently started going into heat, when she is in heat she wanders up to my partner and sprays on him then wonders off. I haven't seen her spray anywhere else though I'm pretty sure she has sprayed on the stairs as the male cat in the house keeps sniffing at it. (they are kept seperate until one or both are fixed) Trixie used to spray him too before she was spayed and before there was a male cat in the house.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced their cats spraying on men in the house, or why she would be doing it, and if anyone knows of anything we can do to discourage it until she is spayed. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't really think of anything other than spaying that would fix it :dk:. She's all like "hey handsome, smell this!" :lol3:. It's a biological imperative to attract males. How old is the male cat? I hope he doesn't start spraying, too :(.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookietown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The male is about the same age, 6 months, he is spraying too, alot more than Pixie as well as having trouble with his litter tray in general. We have no desire for kittens, Manson (the male kitten) is a new addition and just hasnt been booked in for his nutering yet, Pixie is small for her age so the vet wants to wait till she is a bit bigger before spaying her. Trixie was the same, had to wait until she was 8 months instead of 6. Pixie started coming into heat about 2 weeks after my housemate brought Manson home and is only out of heat for about a week at a time. Each time she goes into heat she sprays my partner more and more, she doesnt spray me so I dont think its about smelling Manson because I spend more time with him than my partner does (not his biggest fan since he started trying to mount Pixie)

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get them both neutered ASAP, and if your vet doesn't want to do it I would search for another that will.  The longer this goes on the more likely it is to not go away when they are neutered.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the vet knows you have 2 cats unfixed and wants to wait I find that a tad unresponsible on vets part.  It's asking for kittens.

I have had kittens done as young as 8 weeks by a person used to that and have had the reg vet do kittens at 3 1/2 months old when they normally do them at 5 or 6 moths

ambermay

I hold your heart close to my chest.
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would wonder if vet wants to wait until a cat gets bigger.  That would suggest that they are perhaps not very experienced?

My Midnight was just 5 month old (and she is so tiny!) when she was spayed.

Our vets said the size doesn't really matter, though with a bigger cat - it is easier job to spay them.

We had no problem after all my kitties were spayed/neutered at about 5 month.  The very next day they all were fine.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: (I had a whole response typed out very similar to those, but it erased itself and I didn't have the patience to re-type :lol3:)

As long as she's over 2 pounds and healthy, it doesn't matter how big she is. And an accidental pregnancy would be far worse for her than the surgery. I would be finding another vet to do the surgery ASAP. Being constantly in heat like that isn't healthy either.

Remember that even after the male is neutered, he could still get her pregnant for a whiile afterward (due to sperm retained in the tubes). How long afterward is not known in cats. . .but there are stories about recently gelded horses fathering foals for up to 3 months afterward :/. So I really wouldn't let them be together until after she's spayed.

Last edited:

cookietown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Iv had a look at another vets, just have to wait until she is out of heat now, the male should be fixed in the next week or so.

I didn't even think about him still being able to get her pregnant after he is fixed, knew it happened with people but didn't connect the dots, silly me.

They are kept apart, take it in turns to roam a couple of hours at a time. We started the introductions before she came into her first heat, got as far as seeing each other through the door, she did not like him :)  once she started her first heat we stopped introductions and they were kept apart, one slips past occasionally but they dont get far, always get distracted smelling things.

Any idea why she would be spraying my partner more than anywhere else, she has only sprayed on me twice my poor partner gets sprayed a few times a day.

leroy7908

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced their cats spraying on men in the house,

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a girl, she knows she's a girl, he is a boy, she knows he's a boy so she is advertising how gorgeous she is but in a cat sort of way.  She doesn't bat her eyelashes and swing  or fiddle with her hair, she pees on him.

My friend had a queen (now neutered and rehomed) whose first action at stud was to pee all over the place, just so he couldn't miss that she was there and she was ready!  The queen's daughter did a lot of pissing at stud as well.

Last edited:

cookietown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 That made me chuckle. I never thought about it like that, bless her little cotton socks trying to flirt with the only male she gets to see :)