Kitten Spayed

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! Today Iris got spayed, she is about 6 months old now. We got her home a few hours ago, and she is locked up in the bathroom. The vet made sure to tell us that we needed to keep her cone of shame on, and keep her locked into a small room for 10 days. She is very active, and absolutely hates not being able to see us constantly especially me because she follows me like a little shadow and sleeps with me every night. I have anxiety, and her being locked up is killing me. I feel like I am doing something so horrible keeping her locked up and I started crying, but I know it's only 10 days out of her whole life and it's just my anxiety making me go a little crazy. She meows at the door and scrapes at it, and I'm worried about her possibly hurting herself or damaging the door. Is there anything I could possibly do to keep her from not going crazy? I've read threads before that said their kitty got spayed and they pretty much just let them rome the house afterwards, is it just a "vet" thing to say keep them locked up for 10 days or is it truly how long it takes? I don't know if I should give her any toys, and Ive been thinking of possibly putting a radio right outside the door just so she has some backround noise? Me and my boyfriend were off today and tomorrow so we will be able to spend more time with her but then we go back to work on Wednesday. Right now we just have the vent on in the bathroom so it's not completely quiet. She got internal stitches and the outside was glued together. I just feel like a bad kitty momma and want to do what's best for her and try to keep her comfortable. She just has her litter box and bed with the blanket on top in there with her right now. Any suggestions on how to keep her calm? Or me?! 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that is overly cautious and it sounds like she just wants to be with you. I think you can let her out and likely take the cone off as well. See how she does!

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had multiple foster cats that have had surgery right before I got them and I didn't use a cone or follow really much of anything at all, other than having them take it easy the first day.

Last edited:

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with letting her out of the bathroom and giving her lots of love. Also my cats never had a cone but my cats were stitched on the outside not glued. I'd consult the vet before leaving her unmonitored without it.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think 10 days of confinement is a bit excessive. Normal protocol recommends a couple days of limited activity, so if you can keep an eye on her then I think it would be fine to let her out. Kittens heal pretty quickly! The cone is there to prevent her from licking at her stitches, so you can take it off and watch her. If she leaves the incision alone, then you can keep it off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! We will probably keep her in the bathroom tonight just to be safe, and we may put her in our bedroom tomorrow. I'm just worried about her jumping on the bed and dressers because she loves jumping on them and with the cone I don't want her to misjudge the edges and fall off.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you can leave her in there while she's sleeping tonight, but cats are pretty good at self-limiting when they are in pain. If you let her out and take off the cone you can see if she's capable of controlling herself and take it from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you can leave her in there while she's sleeping tonight, but cats are pretty good at self-limiting when they are in pain. If you let her out and take off the cone you can see if she's capable of controlling herself and take it from there.
Thanks! I think we may keep the cone on her, she's trying her hardest to lick her belly. We let her out in the living room for a bit but she is still groggy from the medicine and I don't want her to hurt herself so we decided to just keep her in the bathroom tonight. We will gr again in the morning and see how she does!