Kitten spayed now can't stop licking wound site, is there other alternatives to E collar?

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi my 7 month kitten has just got spayed and is understandably very upset. She is on pain meds but screams when she tries to lick wound site, we are keeping an eye on her all the time and discouraging her from doing so but it's hard to stop her. We tried an E collar but she went mad and now my partner doesn' t want it on her bevause he doesn't want to raise her stress levels even more.

But i am trying to balance the risk of her stress against the consequences of having her wound get infected, and the latter seems worse to me.

I am wondering if other forum members have any ideas other than using E collar which can help discourage her from licking her stitches/sutures? Thank you!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's screaming when she licks she needs to wear the collar. Did they give her pain killers? You may need to go back and get the vet to give you some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they gave her 2 pain relief injections and the last one given 10 hours ago supposed to last 48 hours plus prescribed her additional pain relief for tomorrow.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long ago was the spay? She may be very disoriented. I still think if she's screaming she should wear the collar. Either way, keep her confined to a small room.

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Earlier today so 10 hours ago. Thanks i will do.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can put a baby onesie on her or a tube sock with the toe cut off. If you're careful not to put it too tight, an ace bandage/vetwrap might work. That could be less stressful for her.

I don't try to stop normal grooming licking, I only take steps if she licks too much or tries to pull out her stitches. I've never had one scream when she licked herself though, poor little girl :(.

Yeah, if she was just done today she's probably still loopy from the anesthetic. She should be a little more rational tomorrow.

Last edited:

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thanks to everyone who replied and your advice. Tinkerbell is now ok, at the second day she stopped trying to lick it and at follow up appointment vet said the stitches looked ok and she was doing well.

Now she has to grow all that fur back again!