Kitten spay - lump

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So today is day 5 after having this 4 month old kitten spayed. They did say she was in heat when she was spayed. Her tummy still looked normal this morning. I have to separate her and her brother because they just want to chase each other and wrestle, and kick each other with the hind legs. I tried separate dog crates for 3 days but they weren’t having it. They do wear cones.

One kitten stays in the guest room for a day, then I switch them out and the other goes in the guest bathroom. I let her in the guest room tonight and immediately she starts climbing the curtains. I took her down multiple times before putting her back in the guest bathroom because she will just fall from a tall height and injure her healing stomach. They are able to jump on a medium height bed but there aren’t any cat trees in there right now.

Now I see a large lump when I pick up her tummy to look. It does feel like something is there, not fluid or squishy, but something hard. If you’re not picking her up it seems to settle further down towards her legs, like it’s not directly behind the incision. She just squirms in general so I can’t tell if it’s painful to touch or not.

I will be calling the vet office in the morning to see if I can bring her in. I’m hoping they can squeeze her in because their wait times are like 10-14 days! But it’s going to be so stressful if she needs another surgery.

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The link above mentions the different kinds of lumps that can occur.

I would think it is more likely to be a seroma caused by her running around
This is quite common in cats and if it is that then it should slowly go away.

I have seen this happen to a few different cats and it usually went away after a couple weeks.

This being said it is possible to be caused by something else. I would call your vet in the morning and see if you can send over a picture and see what they recommend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I plan to call them today. I just hope they will see her. All the vets here have a long wait to be seen like 2+ weeks, it’s very stressful. My main vet that I go to is very expensive and 45minutes away, but I will call there if she can’t be seen here where the surgery was done.

I checked on her now and it looks to me like some fluid is starting to come out like the seam is opening. She just won’t stop wriggling around. It will be day 6 now so the seam should be closing not opening. It wasn’t like that before. Sigh

Last edited:

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve been trying to call as soon as they open but they will not answer the phone…really frustrating. All the smaller vets around here are like this and always busy.

I called the main vet I go to and they don’t have appointments either but can see her as a drop-off tomorrow if I leave her there for a few hours. So I guess I have to wait and see what they say.

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was able to have the vet who spayed her do a re-check today.

He said it’s seroma / fluid build-up that should go down within a few weeks. He thinks it’s not too big now so she doesn’t need to have it drained, unless it gets bigger. He doesn’t think it’s a hernia. He was really grabbing the area and feeling the inner stitches. I was kind of freaking out inside while he was doing that, but I guess the kitties’ incisions are not as fragile as they look after surgery, or maybe only with the vet.

He said the inner stitches feel intact so she should be healing okay, and just try to keep her calm (yeah right :)). She was laying there still for him like an angel, but she’s a wiggly worm with me.

So I can stop panicking for now until 3 weeks later if it doesn’t go away lol.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news. I figured that's what it was when you mentioned her running around and jumping on the bed and back down. I'm glad that is what it was. Thank you so much for the update.
You can now breathe lol