Kitten spay incision looks odd

Od3n

i name my cats weird stuff
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, it’s been a while since I logged on (I forgot my password and email...oops)

Anyhow, I took two of my kittens to get spayed on the 28th. Only one ended up getting spayed since Mia was under the weight requirement (4lbs, she was 3.5lbs).

The cat who did get spayed is 19 week old Mochi. She doesn’t wear a cone because she threw a horrible fit and jumped everywhere, so she’s quarantined to a room. I’ve gotten my other cats fixed so I used their incisions as reference as to how it should look while healing.

However, today is day four and I took a look at her incision and it doesn’t look quite right. She doesn’t care if I poke it or anything, and it’s not weeping or having any discharge. She’s acting like herself, and eating and drinking fine, but the redness is a little concerning. I’m going to take her to the clinic possibly tomorrow or the day after to see what they say, but I want to see what everyone thinks. I personally think an infection is setting in, but I’m not sure.

The clinic uses internal sutures and closed the incision with surgical glue. Her tattoo is on her ear.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't tell definitively, but I'm glad you're taking her in to make sure. If you happen to have a photo from a couple days ago that might help them to more clearly/quickly see whether things may not be going in the right direction. Or, keep taking photos tonight, in the morning tomorrow, etc to document any further changes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Od3n

Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom
Unfortunately I don’t have a pic of her incision from the first day, but I’ll take update pictures and try to take her in tomorrow, or the day after, depending on if they’re able to see her sooner because of work schedule.
I also noticed there isn’t any heat emanating from her incision, it’s just red. It doesn’t smell funny or anything so maybe it’s just irritated - but I’d rather be safe than sorry haha

Od3n

Young Cat
Purraise
Update - we are on the way to the clinic to get her checked out. I texted their after hours number and sent them the picture and they wanted to see her in today. I looked at her incision this morning and yeah it looks worse - very red and angry 😞

Od3n

Young Cat
Purraise
Got a call from the vet and they confirmed my suspicions of an infection, and gave her an antibiotic shot. Luckily that’s all she needed and the incision will close on it’s own, but I’ll have to put her in cage rest with her cone on since she was running around in her quarantine room. She won’t like it but I want her to heal normally.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A heating pad or throw blanket on low might help make Mochi more comfortable as long as she is not a cord chewer. I was advised by a vet to do this for my Starbuck's spay incision infection years ago. This can also help draw out any pus under the skin. You could always ask your vet if this would be helpful for your baby. I would suggest a light towel you don't mind throwing out on top of the heating pad in case of drainage.

Od3n

Young Cat
Purraise
She is unfortunately a cord chewer 😞 she got ahold of my phone charger a while ago and I had to buy a new one because it was obliterated, haha

I have a heating pad that you’re supposed to microwave, would those work? Atm she has a small litterbox, food and water, and a towel with some room to stretch. She’s not in the biggest kennel we have, but the other ones are ones meant for like a Great Dane and she will climb those and injure herself, so I had to opt for a medium sized kennel.

I feel bad keeping her in such a small space, but at least now I see her incision finally looks closer to normal, with the edges together and it’s not an angry red anymore. I was thinking of keeping her in there for four days, with day two being tomorrow. Is that a reasonable amount of time to keep her on cage rest?

Aaa I’m sorry for all the questions, I’ve just never had a spay complication, much less with a hyperactive kitten! All my other kitties healed without really needing to be restricted

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is that a reasonable amount of time to keep her on cage rest?
I think so, and as you see how it's healing you'll be able to make a better determination timewise.
Try covering the microwavable one with a couple towels so the heat is more "gentle" , so to speak, and see if she likes it.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat with an incision that looked exactly like that! Callie wasn’t a jumper but it happened anyway. It just does sometimes but most of the time kitties do just fine and even if there is an issue, healing is something cats do very well. I kept Callie quarantined in a tiny bathroom before and after the issue. She liked going in a cabinet under the sink so I put blankets in there for her. I covered the counter with boxes to block her from trying to jump. I have also had to use small crates, carriers and cages over the past couple of years. Please don’t feel bad about keeping her confined. Keeping them restricted and calm is what she needs so you are doing just fine! Keep watching the incision and it should start to look less red and flatter as it heals. Once it stops looking inflamed, you can start letting her out. They may get bored so keep her company as much as you can. Maybe go in and read to her or just sit with her as you post on TCS? Whatever you can do. My Callie healed up just fine after getting the antibiotics. Posting that picture was great! Please keep us updated.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is unfortunately a cord chewer 😞 she got ahold of my phone charger a while ago and I had to buy a new one because it was obliterated, haha

I have a heating pad that you’re supposed to microwave, would those work? Atm she has a small litterbox, food and water, and a towel with some room to stretch. She’s not in the biggest kennel we have, but the other ones are ones meant for like a Great Dane and she will climb those and injure herself, so I had to opt for a medium sized kennel.

I feel bad keeping her in such a small space, but at least now I see her incision finally looks closer to normal, with the edges together and it’s not an angry red anymore. I was thinking of keeping her in there for four days, with day two being tomorrow. Is that a reasonable amount of time to keep her on cage rest?

Aaa I’m sorry for all the questions, I’ve just never had a spay complication, much less with a hyperactive kitten! All my other kitties healed without really needing to be restricted
Yes a microwave heating pad would work. You would definitely want to make sure it is not too hot though. If you have access to a regular heating pad set that on low away from the cord chewer and use that the figure out the appropriate temperature for the microwave heating pad. A microwave heating pad is going to be more work to keep the temperature consistent but it would help. We have a cord chewer in my house too so I understand that all to well.

Od3n

Young Cat
Purraise
Small update - her incision is actually starting to scar at the edges that were a little together from the beginning, which I’m surprised about because it usually takes a week. I started letting her out of the kennel so she can walk around a bit, and she automatically goes back in her kennel when she doesn’t want be outside anymore. Good progress, I’ll still kennel her tomorrow and after that I’ll keep it open for her to walk in and out of, since she grew to actually like it

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s great news! I’m glad she is beginning to heal It’s also great that she is liking the kennel! I have kept carriers and crates open for my cats ever since they first had to be in them. They love having them as their safe sanctuary and private kitty cave. Lol That’s really good that your kitty is returning to the kennel and it can make life for you and her easier in the future. Not only is it a great place to relax and take a nap, if she is ever nervous, she is likely to go straight there for security. With vet visits, she will always feel a little bit safer if she travels with her own little “turtle shell” safe spot. If that kennel is too large for traveling, I found that if I put a small cat carrier inside bigger ones later, the kitties went into the smaller one for nap time or hiding. Great news all the way around! Please keep us updated!

Od3n

Young Cat
Purraise
Another small update - I took her cone off for a little so she could eat easier, and I looked away for a second and she’s ripped her scabs off! Luckily it was at the point where the skin underneath is fused together, so she didn’t open her incision. I think it was just really itchy, so she chewed to relieve the itch. I put her cone back on and I’ll keep it on for two more days or until the remaining scabbing falls off or is starting to fall.

When I looked at it further, looked more like if you peeled a scab and you see the pinkish scar tissue underneath it