Kitten sometimes holds one eye partially closed, but no other symptoms?

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve noticed over the past few weeks that sometimes, often upon waking up from a nap, our 6-month-old female kitten holds her left eye partially closed. It doesn’t last very long; both eyes are fully open soon enough. There is also NO visible redness or other abnormalities (pupils are the same), nor does the eye weep or have discharge. Nothing was noted during her pre-spay exam in April (save for some mild kitty acne!).

I’m more than willing to bring her to the vet to have it looked at. I figured I could ask here first as it certainly doesn’t appear to be any sort of emergency.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I don't think it would be considered any sort of emergency either. You could ask the vet about using a saline solution eye drop for dry eyes and see what they say. Otherwise, I would just continue to monitor it and see if other changes occur, including her pawing at that eye. Is this involving her third eyelid? I have heard of the third eyelid showing for a while after a nap on some cats.

You might check this kitten's napping area to see if there is something irritating about the material, or recent cleaning products used, especially if she tends to sleep on the same side of her face/eye.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I don't think it would be considered any sort of emergency either. You could ask the vet about using a saline solution eye drop for dry eyes and see what they say. Otherwise, I would just continue to monitor it and see if other changes occur, including her pawing at that eye. Is this involving her third eyelid? I have heard of the third eyelid showing for a while after a nap on some cats.

You might check this kitten's napping area to see if there is something irritating about the material, or recent cleaning products used, especially if she tends to sleep on the same side of her face/eye.
No pawing at her eye, nor do I see the third eyelid. She mostly sleeps on one of the cat trees, sometimes on a blanket. We use a very gentle laundry detergent (I think it’s called something like Free & Clear), no nasty perfumes or dyes.

We have had some air quality alerts recently due to the Canadian wildfires (we’re in the Midwest). That and it’s general allergy season to boot. My eyes have been feeling very off, so I’m wondering if she has mild allergies too.