Kitten Sniffs Doormat Before Going To Litter Box

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have been reading and learning a great deal on this amazing website since I took home my first kitten/cat Neko home in August. And now I've decided to post my own question...sorry this is probably a long story!

Neko is 4.5 months old now, and we brought him home when he was 12 weeks old. On the second day he arrived, he pooped on our front door mat (it's made of carpet). On the third day, he pooped under his cat tree (on the carpet part). We found out he also peed a few times on the door mat. We locked him up in a room for two days with the litter box, changed the type of litter box and type of litter, and he finally got the hang of it! We threw out the door mat, cleaned the tile floor with enzyme cleaner and bleach. Everything was great and no more accidents!

However, I still see him sniffing around the area where the door mat was, and then eventually go to his litter box (there is at least 20ft between front door and his litter box). But it's not a consistent act. Sometimes he would just go straight to the box. About two weeks ago we put in a new *rubber* doormat. It has a pretty strong rubber smell, and for the first few days, Neko avoided going to that area, but he still used litter box fine. Then one night, we found him pooping on the new mat! But that seems to be the only accident so far. He continues to consistently use the litter box afterward...

Now he still sniffs the door area before using his box. I get very nervous every time he goes near that area, thinking he will make an accident again. Any idea why he is so attached to the area? Is there anything I can do to break that attachment? I tried giving him treats and play with him near the doormat, hoping it will make him think that area is for eating and playing.

Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can only think that somehow his scent from pooping in that area is still there, even if you can't smell it. And, as far as the new rubber mat, he could have also pooped on it to help eradicate the rubber smell. New rubbers and plastics can have a pretty strong odor to them initially. And, I am not sure, but it might be hard to get the poop smell out of rubber because it is so porous.

I have a place I am going to re-treat where Feeby went outside her litter box when she was having a UTI. The UTI is gone and she is using the litter box just fine, but I noticed she stops and smells that spot quite often. I am guessing she can still smell her pee there, even if I can't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I can only think that somehow his scent from pooping in that area is still there, even if you can't smell it. And, as far as the new rubber mat, he could have also pooped on it to help eradicate the rubber smell. New rubbers and plastics can have a pretty strong odor to them initially. And, I am not sure, but it might be hard to get the poop smell out of rubber because it is so porous.

I have a place I am going to re-treat where Feeby went outside her litter box when she was having a UTI. The UTI is gone and she is using the litter box just fine, but I noticed she stops and smells that spot quite often. I am guessing she can still smell her pee there, even if I can't.
I'm pretty sure he can still smell something in that area, but somehow he also recognizes the fact that is not his litter box...My husband suggested spray some perfume or citrus scented product in that area to deter him, but I'm afraid he will poop there again to cover the smell.

Is this something he can grow out of as he gets older? Like when he is more mature?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it were me, I'd be a bit hesitant to spray any other scents on that location for now. The fact that he has learned that location is not for pooping is a great start. He could easily grow out of it, to be sure. He might also tire of smelling that area - thinking 'yep, same old, same old, time to move on'.

Feeby is a lot older - as in 15+ yo - so not much of a comparison. But, now that you have me thinking about it, I can't recall that she has stopped in that same area to sniff for a few days. Maybe, she is 'over it', and he will get there too?

The more time passes and he doesn't 'use' that area again, the greater chance that he is just curious about why he smells something there. When you see him go to that area to smell, you can always try to distract him away with one of his favorite toys. That might help speed up the process of him 'forgetting' about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I'd be a bit hesitant to spray any other scents on that location for now. The fact that he has learned that location is not for pooping is a great start. He could easily grow out of it, to be sure. He might also tire of smelling that area - thinking 'yep, same old, same old, time to move on'.

Feeby is a lot older - as in 15+ yo - so not much of a comparison. But, now that you have me thinking about it, I can't recall that she has stopped in that same area to sniff for a few days. Maybe, she is 'over it', and he will get there too?

The more time passes and he doesn't 'use' that area again, the greater chance that he is just curious about why he smells something there. When you see him go to that area to smell, you can always try to distract him away with one of his favorite toys. That might help speed up the process of him 'forgetting' about it.
Thanks for the reply! I certainly do hope he grows out of this habit soon! We try to keep an eye on him when we are home, and distract him when he acts a little bit suspicious near the door!