Kitten Sneezing And Vomiting

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy New Year to All,

My 9 month old kitten has been sneezing and twice threw up his food in the past 24 hours, several hours after he ate it. The food looked completely undigested. The second time he vomited there was only a bit of food and it consisted of mostly hair. His nose is slightly runny (clear) as well.

I'll brush him more often to prevent the hairballs, but I'm not sure if all the symptoms are related, if he has an URI or is he is sneezing from his scented kitty litter. He does seem sensitive to smells.

This is my first cat as an adult so I'd appreciate feedback from the experienced cat owners on this site.

Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The vomiting could be from hairballs. But, with the sneezing going on, it could just as easily be something else. Your best bet is to take your kitten into the vet, and quickly, especially if he is not keeping his food down at all. Is he drinking water? Peeing/pooping normally? How is his energy level? All things you need to be prepared to tell the vet about.

If it is the beginning of a URI, best to treat it ASAP - quicker recovery if treated earlier. I hope he has already had all of the necessary vaccinations - if not, get those started as well.

There are plenty of things to feed your cat for hairball prevention - but, those can wait to be addressed after you find out what is wrong and get it treated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for your reply. Everything else is normal, e.g. eating, drinking, pooping, playing.

I think I'm going to see how he is once I'm home today and if I find more vomit or any change in his behavior, I'll take him to the vet.

I feed him wet food and thought that would help with hairball prevention. No idea why I have that impression though :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! In the meantime, you could try unscented litter, and try putting him in a bathroom with a steamy shower, 10-12 minutes a day a couple times a day to try and help his airways. Hang in there!