Kitten sleeping quite a bit? Normal or not?

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I currently have an almost 5 month old girl kitten. She is super sweet and cuddly. She isn’t spayed yet but we have an appointment in February. She is just sleeps alot I’m wondering if that’s normal?? I think she may have been like this for a while but I have not been working for the last week so I’m just now realizing how lazy she is? I wouldn’t call her lethargic at all- just sleepy.

I have only had one other kitten and that is my 4 year old cat. When he was a baby he was crazy playful and still is. So that’s all I have to compare new kitty to. My kitten plays here and there and she is very curious but she’d much rather sleep. She’ll chase and play with my adult cat for about 45 minutes total per 24 hours and we usually get a few play sessions in here and there.

For example, yesterday she laid on me and slept from the majority of the time from 10-5. We did play vigorously for about 45 minutes at night. She sleeps on or near me for most of the night. She is curious and if I try to play with her at any time she usually will. She doesn’t ever get zoomies.

She had a vet visit a little over a week ago and overall she had a clean bill of health. I was a little concerned because she seems a little overweight to me. The vet said she’s a little overweight, but mostly on schedule. She did feel like she felt fluid in her stomach so she did an ultrasound but no fluid showed up. Did I luck out getting a chill kitten or is her lack of activity concerning? She will initiate play with her brother here and there, but if I’m on the couch, she’s on the couch.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Given the absence of any medical symptom, and I am assuming that everything like eating, pooping, drinking water, peeing is normal, it does not sound as if she is sick. Anything odd about playtime like excessive panting, coughing? If there had been fluid in the abdomen but no ultrasound, I would have said to go ahead and do one, but that has been done. Nothing else was seen on the ultrasound? How overweight is she? No vomiting or regurgitation of food?

You may have a very calm kitty who loves to sleep. It can happen. I had a brother and sister years ago who were just this side of house plants and both lived into their mid teens.

Lethargy can be hard to pinpoint if this is possibly leading to something. When you take her back in, talk to the vet again about your concerns. If you did not tell her about the play time, etc as you posted here, bring it up specifically.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On average, cats sleep between twelve and sixteen hours per day.
Some cats sleep longer. Some cats sleep less. Most cats will sleep intermittently throughout the day.

If your cat is sleeping somewhere within that range, she is perfectly fine.
If she's sleeping "all the time"...more than sixteen hours...you might want to look into the reasons.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When my boys were kittens, one was of the wall active, and the other was extremely chill. We couldn't really ever get the "chill" boy to play. He liked to eat and sleep and lay on me and that was pretty much it. When he turned one year old he was four pounds overweight! (probably because he rarely moved other than to walk to his food bowl and then to the litter box)

Anyway, here it is almost thirteen years later and he is such a lovebug, still doesn't play much, still loves to eat, but did manage to lose that excess weight so we don't have to worry about his health in that aspect. I guess some kittens, though rare, are just lazy. My guy won't even chase the Da'Bird. The other one still hangs from the chandelier though, so he keeps us on our toes. I figure he makes up for the other one :lol: (I can't decide who I love the most :hearthrob:)