Kitten sick from eating rabbit hay

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! I need some reassurance once more. My 5 month old kitten has been getting into e bunny we’ve been babysittings hay. He’s already puked up a lot of hay but today continues to puke liquid. I think cause he’s not processing the remainder of the hay properly. I know he’s feeling crappy cause he usually purrs and come when I call him. Has anyone ever had a situation like this?

also we are running out to pick up pedialyte and broth so he can sip some nourishment instead of having a big meal weighing down anything he’s trying to process.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is still feeling crummy tomorrow, take him to the vet. Cats don't process vegetable matter very well, and hay is especially hard to digest, so I'm afraid of a blockage. I had a cat who was constantly getting into the rabbit's hay, and he'd always throw up, but he never felt bad for the entire day because of it. And since yours is just a kitten, I think he's more likely to get blocked.

Do you have any Laxatone on hand? Vaseline will work too. Give him about half a teaspoon, see if that greases things along.

If you're going to keep the rabbit much longer, ask the owner about providing compressed hay blocks instead of loose hay so the kitten can't eat it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called our care Center since vet clinics are closed today and she said the my babe probably has a very upset tummy but eventually all will pass. He’s pretty tired but not walking funny and he keeps stretching so it can’t be that painful. I think the problem is his poor stomach is continually spasming so he’s completely lost any appetite. Also started him on pedialyte with chicken and pumpkin broth he’s had a syringe and a half in the last hour. Babe is cleaning himself now. Hopefully the hydration will help

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lil Babe had a pee with no difficulty and has been cleaning himself more I even got some purrs that I was unable to get all day. I listened to his belly it’s definitely gurgling like he’s digesting something. If he isn’t feeling much better early tomorrow we are trekking to the vet.

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s more wide eyed than he has been all day :crossfingers:

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took baby kitten to vet and they did an X-ray. Little one has bowel obstruction and is going in for a exploratory laparotomy tomorrow morning. Prognosis seems good but my heart hurts. 💔

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Took baby kitten to vet and they did an X-ray. Little one has bowel obstruction and is going in for a exploratory laparotomy tomorrow morning. Prognosis seems good but my heart hurts. 💔
I'm so glad you took him to the vet today and they did an x-ray. Sending special thoughts and healing vibes for the exploratory laparotomy tomorrow morning. :vibes::vibes::vibes: Please keep us posted.

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry guys for the slow update.
Frankie is doing great! He gets his stitches out on Thursday. I figure Halloween should be the day considering his name.... Frankenstein and he is a black cat lol
$3000 vet bill and a nasty car accident has made this a wonderful and memorable month. However, it could have been a lot worse and Frankie would’ve died in a couple days if left untreated. Here’s a pic of him high on his pain meds and in a surgical onesie

Attachments