Kitten Seems To Be Fading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I received 3 orphaned 6 day old (estimate) kittens about a week ago. When I received them they all had their eyes closed. I still had a nursing mama from my last litter, so I gave them to her to see if she would take them in and she did. That was about a week ago now, so they're right around 2 weeks. Two of them have opened their eyes, but the littlest one hasn't. He doesn't cry for the mama or even move very much at all. He doesn't eat very much. I'm worried he's dying, and I dunno. I know fading kitten syndrome is a thing, but I'm just wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions for anything I can do? He has a vet appointment tomorrow, but even the vet said there may not be much to do for him. He's so tiny. I tried bottle feeding him but he always turns his head away and really struggles. Should I force the formula in him anyway? Or should I just leave him with the care of the new mama and see what happens? I hate losing kittens, I've only lost 2 other ones before (different litter) and that was only because the litter had a real bad viral illness. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
goldsberry goldsberry

You need to feed this kitten ASAP, but with a needleless syringe - not a bottle. Also, put some honey on the kitten's gums before you feed it for a quick pick me up. Put drops in the side of the kitten's mouth.

Begin feeding 1- 2mLs every 1/2 to 1 hour to see if the kitten can be saved. The kitten sounds dehydrated.

If possible, mix the powdered KMR using clear pedialyte instead of water.

The kitten can stay with mom between feedings, but do NOT count on it to get any food from mom right now. It sounds too weak.

How long has this been going on?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! I'm not really sure when I noticed, I started worry about him Tuesday, maybe Wednesday morning I wanna say? Adoptive mama is actually feral, so I try to stay out of her way when she's with them or she gets agitated and paces and hisses at me instead of taking care of them. I think I first noticed his being lethargic and quiet around Tuesday evening though. I have seen him nursing from mom periodically, just not as often as I have his brothers. I gave him 2mls just now, but I don't have pedialyte so it was just mixed with water.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good! Did he perk up?

Continue to try to feed him every 2 hours. He probably needs the extra anyway to help him gain weight.

Katyosha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what is the deal with ferals? the most abandoned kittens i see are from feral mother.. they seem to be the playcats for the species .. we have one now and i believe it will be fixed soon.. you are lucky to have an alternative mom who is welling to take the little kittens. i hope your little tiny one be well and normal.

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good! Did he perk up?

Continue to try to feed him every 2 hours. He probably needs the extra anyway to help him gain weight.
He's had another 6mls! When I put him back with mom he settles down and lays completely still and doesn't try to nurse. But if I keep him next to me on a heating pad he moves around and cries. He did seem more interested in the food the last time I fed him. Hopefully It's working...

Katyosha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
as long as he is reacting and taking the food from you. its a good sign. cats have codes of their own maybe the other two kittens are banning him from the mother's milk. cats can be selfish especially if they are stronger... observe them when you place him with them if they are pushing him away and such

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:( :( :( devastated. I thought he was doing so well. I was getting food down him, he was moving, meowing, he even pooped. He seemed much better five minutes ago. Just checked on him and he has passed away. :( :( thanks for the advice anyway.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, no! I am so sorry! :(

This happens sometimes. It is perplexing. It is not your fault at all. Thank you for trying. He probably had a heart problem. Please do not blame yourself. RIP little one. Run free now! :rbheart:

Katyosha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh its sad..
Don't feel bad please.. its normal maybe the kitten has a major health problem otherwise it will not be acting like so. Better for it to go in peace than to live and suffer. Afterall you are left with two healthy ones so enjoy it as you can

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
goldsberry goldsberry we are so sorry this little one didn't make it. :rbheart:
Threads are locked after such a loss, as a sign of respect. We invite you to place a tribute at our crossing the bridge forum if that feels right. And please do start a new thread to let us know about your other kittens.

RIP Little One
:greenpaw: :bluebutterfly: :rbheart: :bluebutterfly: :bluepaw:

Status
Not open for further replies.