Kitten Running Out The Front Door

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten tries to run out the door every time someone comes in. She loves to explore and sees it as the perfect opportunity. I'm not sure what to do to keep her from doing it. I'm scared something will happen to her or she'll get lost. I live in a big city. She's microchipped and I'm planning to get her a collar, but I'd rather not have to rely on either of those.

Currently, when I come home, I've been shoving items I happen to have with me through the opening as I walk in (book bags, purse, etc.). And I make loud noises by jangling my keys. But it doesn't always work.

I'm really worried that maybe my landlord or a maintenance person will come into my apartment one day, and she'll run out. They usually announce visits beforehand, but you just never know.

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to use a spray bottle. That would be the last resort, along with locking her in a back room during the day. I don't want to punish her or imprison her. Is there anything else I could do to teach her not to run out?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK here is my VERY mean idea. Take a squirt bottle filled with water every time you leave the house. Carry it in your hand every time you come in. If she gets within 3 feet of the door squirt her. After you close the door put the squirt bottle down somewhere by the door and then greet her with affection. Give your landlord a squirt bottle if need be, or leave a squirt bottle by your door behind a potted plant for those times when someone stops by. A few weeks after she stops rushing the door, try not taking the squirt bottle with you. If she doesn't rush the door, leave the squirt bottle by the door for 6-12 months just in case.
*** The nicer version is a penny can. Take an empty soda can, put 5-10 pennies in it. Place duct tape over the top of the can. Vigorously shake the penny can instead of squirting her.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I trained my cats with a squirt bottle to not rush the door, stay off the counters. I used a penny can if they got on a coffee table or a dining room table. Now that they are 10 & 11 I am down to 1 squirt bottle that I use rarely. However if my punk ignores my warnings and hand clapping I will give the bottle a warning shake, for him to quit stalking his brother (he is a bully.) They know they are not allowed out the front door & are allowed out the sliding glass door. Salem was sitting outside on the front door step a month ago. I scolded him and he ran back inside and has behaved since then (during the heat wave the front door was open for ventilation.)