Kitten rough with adult

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey

Now Indy is getting along with my resident cat but she seems rough with him.

Indy doesn't seem to pick up on his "I've had enough" signals. If he walks away she chases him biting at his ankles.

I am on disability so another kitten is not an option for me.

Will she grows out of the ankle biting? Will my other cat teach Indy to be nice?

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your new cat, I looked at your profile, Indy is 9 months? And your other cat? 

Kittens are bundles of energy and can be quite annoying to older cats. It's just a matter of trying to distract Indy by throwing a ping pong ball or some other toy when your older cat has had enough and provide places the older cat can be in peace and quiet but still be part of the family for example cat trees, window perches etc. 

If you are able too wear off a bit of Indi's energy through play that would help your older cat.

If there is no real aggression in your older cat, she is probably already trying to discipline Indie by escalating all the way up to chasing him when she's had enough. As long as it isn't deteriorating to full on biting and scratching with claws out and drawing blood.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Indy is about 7-8 months my other cat is 7-8 years very high energy breed though (apple head oriental). No aggressive body language (no squirrel tail or hackles raised). Occasional hiss and swat when she bites his ankles he yips like a puppy at Indy sometimes while she has him in a headlock

Never any blood though it just looks very rough.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My young kitty does the same thing to my older one, though she used to do it more often a few months back. I'm hoping that it fades more over time and I give my older cat credit for being so patient with her. Sometimes the older one will even be kind enough to try and clean the younger one, so I don't think he is too negatively affected by her "bullying". Do you ever see your older one treating the younger one nicely like this?

catmom marcia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your kitten is doing what kittens do - they play rough and since Big Kitty is the only other cat in the house and not willing to say STOP!, that will be the target.  I have seen kittens like this turn into real bullies when they think they can get away with this.  Since Big Kitty is the target and you are not willing to get a second kitten for baby to play with there is little you can do.  You can try to constantly divert his attention away from Big Kitty with a wand toy but that will be tedious and take alot of attentiveness on your part.  This behavior may fade over time as he matures, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My young kitty does the same thing to my older one, though she used to do it more often a few months back. I'm hoping that it fades more over time and I give my older cat credit for being so patient with her. Sometimes the older one will even be kind enough to try and clean the younger one, so I don't think he is too negatively affected by her "bullying". Do you ever see your older one treating the younger one nicely like this?
I have seen my older cat give Indy kisses on her face. I've even seen them sitting together.

As for bullying I do not tolerate it. If she bites his ankles I scold her.
Indy also has her own room and I put her there whenever she gets too pushy. I also never leave Indy loose unsupervised for her own safety she ate a pair of underwear last time but that's another story.

Indy seems to be learning the signals from big guy though. I have seen him scold her with a hiss several times and put her in her room when this happens.