Kitten Rejected By Mother At Week 4

snini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A month ago I bought my first cat that's now 4-months old who for unknown reasons got rejected by mother at 4 weeks. She was subsequently fed breast milk replacement by big hoomans, which is why I chose her - thinking she'd be particularly open to people. And so she is, very social, playful and surprisingly without significant behavioural problems despite rejection.

However I have some questions about small stuff
  1. She's slept in my bed until yesterday, which has been very cozy for both of us, but I read that it might be beneficial to cats to sleep more independently?
  2. She doesn't always bury her pee like she does with poo. And rarely she might 'forget' to bury her poo too (despite spacious, cleaned litterbox). Can this resolve itself or do I do something? Recently I've held her in my hands while using her backpaws to kick sand and cover the jobs she forget, too early to tell if it works, my cat has a permanent look of empuzzlement.
  3. While we were on the terrace recently a friendly neighbour cat showed up and I got her close to initiate a meetup, but after some time my cat hissed (in fear?). Should I worry?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to sleep train her to sleep alone, and it sounds like she's doing great. With the litter box, she will probably learn as she gets older.

Re: the terrace, is she spayed and fully vaccinated already?

You should never bring two cats together. She will really need to go at her own pace and comfort level, especially if it's just a visit from a stranger.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
You'll be able to edit after about 20-25 posts.
I don't believe there is any reason to stop letting her sleep with you, --as mentioned, it's ok to allow her to continue with that.

The litter box thing might resolve itself, what if you try a different type of litter?

As long as she's vaccinated and spayed, as mentioned, she's ok to meet other cats but let her do that at her own pace. If not, don't let her meet any other cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is getting her second deworming vaccine in some days. She's on a leash that I can grab should she make a run for it, but she's always in proximity and not out by herself. I'm spaying her at 6 months age.

snini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh one more question, several times a week I clean her eye goo. Should I stop?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She should not go outside at all or near any other cats until she is vaccinated fully and spayed. It's not safe.

snini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has the vet said anything about that eye goo? It would be better to clean it whenever it's visible, or daily.
no, but I'll ask specifically next time in a few days.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you like her sleeping with you, by all means let her. My kitty who was also abandoned by her mom at 4 weeks is very attached to me, but is behaviorally and otherwise a normal cat. She might be a bit more skittish than her big brother, but not to the point of it being outside the norm. I agree that your cat will probably develop better litter box etiquette as she grows, and to have the vet look at her eye goo. She is so stinking adorable!

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can vouch for mine getting better with the litter box as he got older. We found him when he was about 5 weeks old and took him in (he is over a year old now).

The first few months took him time to learn that he is supposed to cover his poo and pee. I tried to teach him by digging in the litter a little bit with the scooper and covering it while he is watching then going back a short time later, I would scoop out what I buried.

It is like all kids when you are raising them, they have to learn by example. Show them repeatedly and consistently what is expected and they will catch on.