Kitten Rectal Prolapse And Smell?

Ponju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, first time poster here! Last week I adopted two-month old brothers, Andy and Ron (I didn't name them :lol:), from the Humane Society. They're happy, full of energy and love playing wrestlemania with each other. They had just been treated for worms on Monday, Drontal I believe, because Ron had some visible worms in his poo. Ron ejected a bunch of dead worm (front or back way, I couldn't tell-- it was a giant mess) a few hours after but treatment seems to be going well and I haven't seen anything since.

Ron smells like poo since the day I got him and just today I noticed that now his brother has a little bit of a smell too. When I checked to see if it was due to a dirty bottom, I noticed that both Ron and Andy had slightly prolapsed rectums, maybe a quarter inch long. The odd thing is, the only time I notice this happens is when I pick them up and pet them! The rectum is fine until I start petting and when I check again, it's sticking out. Too much excitement from petting I guess.

So my question: is this prolapsing cause for alarm? Their bums don't stay that way, but I have noticed that the poo smell lingers regardless. I had recently switched them over from an all can food diet to Royal Canin kitten chow because the wet food + parasites = horrible smelly diarrhea and I heard that Royal Canin was a healthy brand for them. No more diarrhea now but I'm wondering if the change is too drastic for their little tummies.

I'm not able to give them baths just yet because they were just neutered (I can't wait until Friday!) so I'm relegated to wiping their smelly bottoms with kitty wipes for the smell. However I'm thinking that wiping might be irritating the area even more.

Any directions or insight would be appreciated. I hesitate to take them to the vet yet again because they've already been once this week and little Ron hated it (he peed in the corner when he got home to retaliate). I've had cats all my life but these are the first kittens I've had as an adults. I just hope I'm not being an overprotective drama mama, freaking out for every little thing. :p

Pic of kitties so you can see them. Ron the tux in the back and little Andy's in front.

Attachments

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such sweet brothers. I hope someone will come along & answer your question. I have no experience with this.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's probably not cause for alarm so soon after worming. These things tend to heal on their own once their poop becomes more solid and bulky. Theirs not much that can be done and they won't do surgery on transient prolapses the go back in. I'd keep an eye on it and watch them when their in the litter box to see what happens. You can also try adding something to their diet to bulk up their stool so they don't have to strain when they go.