Kitten Reaction To Natural Flea Spray?

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a 9 week old kitten that I fostered and then adopted. He’s had a rough start to life, getting sick from his momma at a few weeks old, reacting poorly to a vaccine at 7 weeks (104.5 fever) and currently having loose stool. Other than that he has been eating well and playing well. Tomorrow morning I am due to hear back about his stool sample to see if he has any parasites.

Anyways, today he was acting normal. I took him to the vet for a checkup, got blood drawn to test for FeLV and FIV (which were negative) and then had a normal day at home. I noticed a flea on him, first one I had ever seen, so I got some natural flea spray from a friend and rubbed that into him around 2:00. By 4 I noticed he was pretty lazy, but he often takes naps throughout the day so didn’t really worry. After returning home around 10, I noticed he was very lethargic and hot to the touch. I took his temperature and it was 103. He didn’t want to move much or play and hadn’t eaten any food. I thought about the flea spray and decided to rinse him off just in case he was reacting to it. After rinsing him off and towel drying a very upset kitten, i held him all bundled up until he fell asleep in my arms. After maybe an hour, he started walking around and then ate his food. He started running around the house and purring...I haven’t retaken his temperature and maybe this is just temporary and he isn’t actually better, but does anyone have a cat that reacts poorly to a natural flea spray?? His quick change in demeanor just make me wonder if that really was the issue. Any of your opinions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
(Sorry if this needs to be in a different thread. It was specific to health concerns so I wasn’t sure)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:eek: What a scare!! It sounds to me like it probably was the flea med. Since your little guy had such a rough start, he is probably more susceptible to chemicals as well as diseases. However, as he gets older, he will toughen up. I have found that with my ferals, once they make it past 2 years, they are very, very sturdy.
And it's difficult to predict reactions - my Maine Coon once had a bad reaction to Frontline2 and had to go to the emergency vet. He is a pedigreed cat and had a privileged kittenhood. None of my ferals & former ferals has had any such problem.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What was in the spray? Essential oils are often highly toxic to cats, and many of these "natural" flea remedies contain essential oils.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It has cinnamon oil, cedar oil, Clove oil, sodium lauryl sulfate, water, vanillian..

He still isn’t himself this morning. He slept on my bed all night and is still wanting to just sleep this morning. :/ I hope this passes soon...

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has a fever of 103.7 this morning...should I try to get him to the vet? See if this passes?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In the future, if you want to avoid using harsh chemicals, use blue Dawn dish soap and a flea comb. The Kitten Lady has a tutorial on YouTube.

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Take him to the vet today. Cinnamon oil and clove oil are toxic to cats.
Thank you, I will. That makes me so angry. They state on the bottle it is safe for cats of all ages and then put something toxic into it! Ugh, I feel so bad for my boy :(

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I will. That makes me so angry. They state on the bottle it is safe for cats of all ages and then put something toxic into it! Ugh, I feel so bad for my boy :(
I know, these things aren't well-regulated. It's awful. Please let us know how things go.

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dropped him off at the vet and they are gonna give me a call when he gets a chance to see Perrin. I’ll keep you all updated. Thanks again!

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perrin’s fever is back down and the vet says I can come pick him up in about an hour after he checks his temperature one more time. He expects a full recovery and called the company of the natural flea spray to make a report of the reaction. He said they said to have never had this type of reaction before- typically kittens get red skin or more allergic of a reaction. Anyways, I’ll be glad to have him home and back to himself soon.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest you ask the Vet what you should use against fleas......instead of using some poisonous spray from a friend.

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suggest you ask the Vet what you should use against fleas......instead of using some poisonous spray from a friend.
I have had already had conversations with my vet about what to use and will proceed forward with that knowledge in mind. This is a wonderful place to ask for advice, encouragement and guidance and I have appreciated the kindness and wisdom of so many here. Please don’t ruin that. I have a great love for my pets and work hard to provide them with the best home and care, but do make mistakes. I think it most important that I learn from them which is exactly what I am doing. My guilt about this mistake is high enough without you adding to it. Thank you for the suggestion, as conversations with my veterinarian are crucial to the best care of my animals.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you took what I said as blaming you and "adding to (your guilt)". Looking back at it and putting myself in your shoes, I suppose I would be feeling awfully guilty as well. I should 'simply' have suggested asking the Vet about safe flea products.

At the same time, your report of your Vet's response included nothing to indicate that he recognized that cinnamon and clove oils are toxic for cats......nor did you mention that you now know what things are safe to use.

Over the years, many people have posted here on this forum about having used inappropriate (toxic) 'flea products' on their cats, often with tragic results.

FWIW, (and because many common household products contain them) here's a reliable piece on essential oils and cats: Essential Oils and Cats | Pet Poison Helpline

[I just read through your "Saying Goodbye to Fosters" thread - that explains a lot! As strange as it might seem, I think we have a lot in common. Enjoy your holiday!]

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you took what I said as blaming you and "adding to (your guilt)". Looking back at it and putting myself in your shoes, I suppose I would be feeling awfully guilty as well. I should 'simply' have suggested asking the Vet about safe flea products.

At the same time, your report of your Vet's response included nothing to indicate that he recognized that cinnamon and clove oils are toxic for cats......nor did you mention that you now know what things are safe to use.

Over the years, many people have posted here on this forum about having used inappropriate (toxic) 'flea products' on their cats, often with tragic results.

FWIW, (and because many common household products contain them) here's a reliable piece on essential oils and cats: Essential Oils and Cats | Pet Poison Helpline

[I just read through your "Saying Goodbye to Fosters" thread - that explains a lot! As strange as it might seem, I think we have a lot in common. Enjoy your holiday!]
I appreciate the follow up and that information very much. I will definitely be reading up on that information about essential oils as I did not know how dangerous they are to cats. That’s part of why this site is so helpful. :)
I have spent a lot of time making sure I give only the best to my golden retriever who has been my whole world, whether that be normal medicine or natural alternatives, but obviously am new and have a lot to learn in the cat world. Sadly I have discovered with dogs that many vets are not always as knowledgeable as we wish them to be and recommend medication that does more harm than good. In trying to avoid giving Perrin regular flea medicine while he is still so young, I chose to try this “natural” flea product without doing my research. Lesson learned for sure.

Anyways, again I appreciate your time and assistance. My guilt does not need to equate into making assumptions, so my apologies.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad your baby is doing better and that you've come to this site.

I have noticed, and I'm not saying this is true for the natural flea med company, I'm just saying, I and others have seen many, many companies play the 'shocked that such a thing happened with our product. No one else has complained. We suspect it was just a one time thing. We will look into it." You or your vet may get an email repeating the same after they look into it. Groups of people have had the same experience with different products even when they know they all called to complain.

There are many other natural products that are safe for dogs but not cats - eucalyptus and fennel (used in bedding to kill fleas.) Cats are tougher and more fragile at the same time.

Many cats have been harmed because their people didn't realize the dog flea meds would be very bad for them. Reputable and semi-reputable companies have started putting a picture of a cat or a dog on the appropriate flea medicine. However, when you open the package and take out the single dose pack look at it to be sure the right medicine was put in the box. Yes, things go wrong at the factories and you don't want to be one of those who has to make up the number required before there will be a recall.