Kitten quarantine help

Hm93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I am planning to adopt a stray kitten from the street in the next couple of weeks. I'll be looking for a kitten at least 8 weeks old. As the kitten will have an unknown healthy history I've read that it's important to keep them quarantined for 2 weeks, especially as I have a resident adult cat. My question is, where is the best place to keep them for the 2 week period? I have 2 options

- Option 1 is a spare room that I have already set up with lots of beds, a cat tree, tunnel, lots of toys, blankets, fountain, litter tray etc to keep them well enriched and entertained. The room is also carpeted and has a fabric chair which will be really difficult to clean if the kitten does happen to have a contagious disease.

- Option 2 is a spare cage that I have. It's about 21 square feet / 2 square metres that could set up with the basics.

I know that the cage will be so much easier to clean but I feel really bad about keeping the kitten in a cage for 2 weeks.

Any advice or input would be very much appreciated

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The room sounds fine. Cover the cloth chair with a towel or blanket you can wash. How old will the street kitten be?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hm93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The room sounds fine. Cover the cloth chair with a towel or blanket you can wash. How old will the street kitten be?
great idea thank you for your reply! I will be looking for one that is at least 8 weeks old, as I've read that you shouldn't take them away from their mother and siblings any earlier than that. And as I can only adopt 1 I want to ensure that it's had plenty of socialization with its siblings :)