Kitten Puking Overnight!!

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have been trying to transistion my kitten to raw. She seemed to take to it very easy and quickly. Monday night she had her first meal of all raw. Tuesday Morning I was woken up by Stella puking foamy bile. Immediately I thought I had just switched her too quickly and she had an upset tummy. She ate some of her fav canned kitten food from omega wellness and played for a bit. When I was playing with her I noticed a large pile of vomit at the foot Of my bed. She also pooped a normal looking stool before I had to leave for work. I had my roommate check on her and feed her more wet while I was gone. Roommate reported she ate acted normally and played fine. When I got home she ate a little
More of a fresh can of omega refusing leftover from fridge. This morning I woke up to her meowing in pain and again her throwing up bile with another small pile of puke in the same spot as yesterday. She refused the omega kitten food so I tried merrick duck which she was eating fine. I had to leave immediately for work so I don't know if she finished and how much but I'll only be gone 4 hours. What is happening? I figured I was rushing raw but all she had yesterday was canned wet!! Does she need another meal overnight? Both the raw and omega are chicken flavor could she have a chicken allergy? Should I take her to the vet? If anyone could give me Ideas that would be great.

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely take her to see a vet!
It might be the canned food you were feeding her, but she may also just be very sick. With kittens, puking is never a good sign. Is she still having proper soild poos?
Any vaccinations or medical procedures in the past? Been dewormed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't get a chance to see if she pooped today she usually goes right after breakfast. Yesterday was normal. She had 2nd round of vaccinations 6/16 and I can't remember if she was dewormed. I know they did a fecal test and that was all negative.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
If there is any diarrhea or lethargy, definitely take her in. It's good she still has a stomach for food! Make sure she continues to eat. Just not that specific canned food, and see how she's does

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah no diarrhea or lethargy. The weird thing is that it was 2 different foods. And only Puking overnight. She seemed totally fine all day yesterday. I just feel so horrible that I fed her something to make her puke :dunno:

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
You just can never tell! It's not your fault.

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I just got home. She didn't poop or puke anymore from what I can tell. Got her to eat a couple more bites of merrick duck. She's running around crazy like she usually does. I have no idea what's going on.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
It was probably an allergy to the canned food she was eating. I'm glad to hear she is doing better!

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately she's not doing not doing any better. She now refuses any
Wet food or kibble and only will eat cooked chieckn in water that I have for treats while training. We will be going to the vet today.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Please let me know how that goes. I'm sorry to hear she isn't doing well

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So she was pretty dehydrated and needed sub q fluids. She was also given a shot of antibiotics and nausea medicine. The vet seems to think that she got some bacterial infection from the raw food that I gave her and sent me home with more nausea meds and Royal Canin wet/dry kitten food. She ate a little wet food and liked the kibble. Wouldn't drink water. Now I have no idea what I'm gonna feed her from here on out. I wish some
More raw experts would chime in if they had trouble transistioning a kitten to raw.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
You can always create a new thread in the Nutrition forum! I'm no expert when it comes to transitioning, my cats have a pretty wacky diet that doesn't stick to any patterns, so I can't really offer much advice there.
This way, the more people who can help you can find your thread easily!

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This story sounds a lot like intestinal obstruction, probably from swallowing a toy or other object. If the vomiting/limited eating continues, she should have an X-ray or ultrasound. Another possibility is that she ingested something toxic. There are many innocent-looking common household plants that are poisonous to cats, like lilies, aloe vera, English ivy, and pothos.

It's not wrong to watch her for a couple more days, since she is eating and might be able to pass whatever it is she ate, but if by "eating" you mean taking a bite or two occasionally, then I wouldn't wait. Something similar happened to my Charlie at 6 months old. It took 3 vet visits and a couple rounds of the useless fluids/antibiotics/vet food routine before someone finally thought to do an Xray. Poor Charlie was in imminent danger of a bowel perforation by that point, and needed emergency surgery. Thankfully he did well. I wasn't terribly happy about the delay in diagnosis though. Sudden onset anorexia and vomiting in a kitten should be ringing alarm bells.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This story sounds a lot like intestinal obstruction, probably from swallowing a toy or other object. If the vomiting/limited eating continues, she should have an X-ray or ultrasound. Another possibility is that she ingested something toxic. There are many innocent-looking common household plants that are poisonous to cats, like lilies, aloe vera, English ivy, and pothos.

It's not wrong to watch her for a couple more days, since she is eating and might be able to pass whatever it is she ate, but if by "eating" you mean taking a bite or two occasionally, then I wouldn't wait. Something similar happened to my Charlie at 6 months old. It took 3 vet visits and a couple rounds of the useless fluids/antibiotics/vet food routine before someone finally thought to do an Xray. Poor Charlie was in imminent danger of a bowel perforation by that point, and needed emergency surgery. Thankfully he did well. I wasn't terribly happy about the delay in diagnosis though. Sudden onset anorexia and vomiting in a kitten should be ringing alarm bells.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks for your comment. I was definitely thinking it was an obstruction. She seems to be doing much better now. After the anti biotics and anti nausea medicine she is going crazy over her food again. Definitely eating like she used to and no puke that I can find. Her poop is more post then it has ever been so I'm watching for diarrhea.