Kitten proofing stair railings

mama tsuki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two new kittens who love to run and chase each other. We primarily keep them upstairs with their mama in my teen girls' room, with some supervised play downstairs daily. We really want their mama to venture out again, but once she discovered we have a dog in the house, she is not willing. I'd like to keep the door open, so she can explore as she's ready, but I worry her kittens will fall through the landing stair banisters onto our ceramic tile foyer. Do I trust them? Or is there a good kitten proofing method? I worry they'd scale a mesh barrier.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They're such a sweet little family @mama Tsuki

The sheets of corrugated plastic that gardeners use are claw-proof. Cats can't get their claws into them so they cant climb up. You could tie some of those to the banisters to keep the kittens safe. You can use a hammer and nail to punch holes into the corners so you can tie it to the banisters

Last edited:

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my home I have a large open area with a drop that is 18 feet to the ceramic tile below. The stair case runs the whole upstairs area and is about 4 1/2 tall.I was so afraid my cats were going to jump up on the ledge get spooked and lose their footing and fall off the stair railing. I went to Home Depot and bought 8ft x 2ft sections of the lattice you would use in a garden or outside. My son put the runners on the stairs and screwed them in and slid the lattice into the runners and put corner pieces in to secure the corners and then near the wall we ran a piece for the lattice to slide into. I put all of this on the very inside of the stair ledge so they couldn't even jump up there too look in case they were to push the lattice over and fall. It has worked very well. I have one bit of stair ledge that if they were to jump up on it they would fall into the second landing of the stair case. I did a test to see if they would jump on that too and of course first chance they got they were up on the ledge so I put lattice up there too. It has been up a year and a half and so far has done a great job.  My stairs are solid and doesn't have rungs just a ledge they can surf. you could try plexi glass though that would probably be expensive. I am not sure the lattice would work well if the kittens are small enough to get through the holes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mama tsuki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks both of you for replying. I think a trip to Lowes in in order. I can price the different options mentioned her and hopefully a solution that doesn't look too tacky or break the bank. I want to keep the kittens safe, first and foremost.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two new kittens who love to run and chase each other. We primarily keep them upstairs with their mama in my teen girls' room, with some supervised play downstairs daily. We really want their mama to venture out again, but once she discovered we have a dog in the house, she is not willing. I'd like to keep the door open, so she can explore as she's ready, but I worry her kittens will fall through the landing stair banisters onto our ceramic tile foyer. Do I trust them? Or is there a good kitten proofing method? I worry they'd scale a mesh barrier.
OMG, what are their names! Did the momma cat really have two white kittens! And is that your dog the one kitten is lying on? So precious?

mama tsuki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

The dog Toby, is my 12 year old mini-toy poodle, whom I've had since he was about 14 weeks. My friend's husband rescued a mama tourtisehell cat and her 5 white kittens, along with an orange male tabby kitten that they estimated to be about 6 months old. They think he might have been from her first litter. We kept the mom and two or her kittens, Tsuki (mama) and Rory and Eloise (white kittens in my profile pic). A neighbor adopted the orange kitty (named him Bailey) and one white kitten (named him Rocket). Another friend adopted one kitten and named him Max. The final kitty is still with the family who rescued them all, but so far without a name. Here are some pics.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy Moses. I don't think I've ever seen a cat have all kittens the same color & that color being so different from her own. I hope she will get used to your dog. As one of the kittens is lying on him I presume he's gentle.

Last edited:

mama tsuki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dog is old and blind and sweet. He seems oblivious to the cats, which I'm grateful for. I worried he'd feel like he was losing turf. The kittens have hissed and arched their backs when they initially see him, it's the cutest thing. They seem to be warming up quickly. I do worry about mama cat. She is so sweet and loving and purrs readily, but she has serious distrust for dogs. She prefers to stay upstairs and isn't willing to stay downstairs long. I don't want to rush her, but really want her to not feel isolated away from the family.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
 [article="29682"]Introducing Cats To Dogs​[/article]  

I think most dogs and cats can get along well if given time. I've included a link to an article here, but perhaps @Columbine  can give you some tips. She's had experience of introducing shy cats to her resident dogs.

They're such a lovely group of cats. I'm really happy to hear they all got rescued.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dog is old and blind and sweet. He seems oblivious to the cats, which I'm grateful for. I worried he'd feel like he was losing turf. The kittens have hissed and arched their backs when they initially see him, it's the cutest thing. They seem to be warming up quickly. I do worry about mama cat. She is so sweet and loving and purrs readily, but she has serious distrust for dogs. She prefers to stay upstairs and isn't willing to stay downstairs long. I don't want to rush her, but really want her to not feel isolated away from the family.
Do you know momma's history? Was she out on the street? Goodness knows what bad encounters she may have had with dogs. Just leave her be. She probably thinks she died and went to heaven with all the love and care you are giving her.

mama tsuki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found that article earlier, but it seems mostly geared to helping the dog adjust. My dog is fine. Tsuki just keeps her distance and an wary eye on my dog. She hasn't shown any aggression, aside from the random warning hiss. I'm definitely letting her take the lead.

mama tsuki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama and 6 kittens (5 were were about 4 weeks old and the orange kitty about 6 months) were found in a warehouse. If the orange kitty is hers, it's not the daddy. My friend thinks she must have had just one kitten the first litter. She seems very young herself. She's a petite 8 pounds. Orange kitty was 6 pounds. How long are cats pregnant? Add that to the kittens' age and I'm assuming she was out that long, if not the duration of her previous pregnancy and the time in between. She is definitely comfortable with people, especially females. She has no fear of children, even 2, 4, and 5 year olds. I'm half worried we will find out she is chipped when I take her and the kittens in for their spay/neuter appointments in the morning. She is very loving.